Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper Bolts Stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914guy
headbang.gif It seems like my caliper bolts will not budge!! Does anyone have any tips or tricks that might help me out?

~Eric
Lawrence
Are these the through bolts?

If so, you're going to strip the torx type ends (or just break your tools off.) Sacrifice the bolt. Spot weld a nut on the end of the bolt, and and then you can grab it with a ratchet from each end.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Andyrew
Take some "liquid wrench", and spray the bolt with that, let it sit, try and wedge it, if it doesnt budge, spray it again and let it sit, repeat process untill you give up. then do what Rusty said.
Lawrence
Yeah. What Andyrew said.

Also, you can try other traditional methods of freeing a bolt... heat (a torch), and tapping. That said, I'm not comfortable with putting a torch to my calipers... it just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I don't think my 33 year old calipers had ever been opened up. That's a lot of time for a bolt to become stuck.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. chatsmiley.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Drums66
try the old reliable cheater pipe.........before you use the drastic measures above tunez.gif
Lawrence
If you put a cheater bar on that torx bit, it's going to snap right the hell off. ohmy.gif

I broke two.

-Rusty smoke.gif
L8Apex
I would use a breaker bar. I have a 3ft breaker bar that works very well. My friend has a 5ft one, which I use for the ones that just don't cooperate.
URY914
Or I use an electric impact wrench. That SOB will round out the inside of them bolts in no time.

P
Drums66
914 Guy, which bolts are you talking about? everyone assumes you mean the torx bolts to split the halves apart........I was thinking the mounting bolts ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.