Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Peashooter
A friend of mine has a six she is considering selling. It is a real nice car, no rust ever, long time owner, etc. Silver car with 14" Fuchs as well as a set of gas burners. Car has been repainted, fresh motor and Dr Evil trans rebuild. Not concours but still a nice car.
I've seen similar cars for sale asking the moon, but wonder what a realistic value is?
rhodyguy
What ever he thinks it's worth. Shoot for the moon and adjust the price as nessasary.
Tom_T
Have him look at the Hagarty website's values, but to pick the condition level realistically & objectively based on the descriptions of each. They have a chart tracking values back several years & the current ones.

It's a great tool for pricing/valuing /4's & any classic car which they cover.

Better yet, tell him to keep it & avoid seller's remorse! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Peashooter
I'll take a look at the Hagerty site and see what they have to say.
Johny Blackstain
If it really is as nice as you say & numbers matching I'd GUESS $35k & up.
Peashooter
It is a nice car, and correct. After looking at the Hagerty web site, I'd put the condition of the car at between a 2 and a 3. Really needs some detailing to get it up a notch. Based on that, value between 40-50K, perhaps a bit less.
mepstein
Many 914-6 never get sold publicly and thus never make the hagerty info. Plus, whenever you are looking at sold comps, they can be 6 months to 1 year old. I wouldn't sell a nice running 6 for less than $65k.

Btw - if anyone out there has a good running 6 and is willing to sell it for $40k or less, I've got cash in hand.
rick 918-S
I am aware of a known recent numbers matching purchase. Sounds like a comparable car. Purchased for around 40k with additional parts stash. Asking and selling are two different things.
Cairo94507
I would have to say in the 50's absent pictures and more info. These cars are going crazy in prize when you see rusted out stripped shells for $16,500.

I would love to see pictures of this car to come up with a realistic value that does not short the seller on the value of her car.
Ferg
I am interested if you are not looking at it for yourself.
rhodyguy
mikeā€¦. dry.gif rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
Can't price a car without all the facts, eye's on hands on the wheel and a real grasp of what your buying. Regardless of whether or not a car comes with the original engine the cost to rebuild, reinstall and tune come at a considerable cost. How does that play into the value. Plus or minus?
Then there is the Dirk Wrights disease that comes when the engine come out to put things back the way they should be. Seats get changed, heat exchangers are bad, warts get removed, non-m471 flares get put on. All stuff that is cool to some but eat away at the "collector car value."
Then there is the myth that certain vintage 911 engines are worth a kings ransom. Until you try to sell them... I know of two guys that fell for that myth. Had every tom dick and harry kick their tires. No joy.
So when looking at a car know what your really looking at. Be willing to pay factory 6 prices if the car is legit, unmolested, correctly painted. (no base clear modern paint jobs) no cool added. Unless the car suits your taste as a conversion with all the lipstick, pushup bras and pumps. And sellers, sell the car for what it is not some fantasy about what it could be "if" you do this or that. This or that cost money in the real world.
Skydance
"I've seen similar cars for sale asking the moon"

I couldn't agree more with some of the other comments... call all the sellers back, none of the cars you have seen that are overpriced have sold. 80k and 90k isn't the correct market price for the car you described. Extra parts, engine, and wheels are not going to push the price to 80k.

The few that did sell in the 80k and up, they are special with unique color, they were lower milage, low ownership, fully documented and mechanically sound investment quality cars with all the paperwork.

I hope all goes well with the sale.
porschetub
Hang on where did you get 80-90k from??
Skydance
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 30 2015, 12:46 AM) *

No exaggeration on my part "asking moon prices" and not a single one publicly offered for sale has sold.

Here is another:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-914-6-...em=141782848173

rick 918-S
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 30 2015, 03:46 AM) *

There have been cars offered at that level and more. Some prime examples. Some with delusional sellers attempting ride the wave up. If a car is offered up and it doesn't sell in 30-60 days it's likely there is something wrong with the car, the ad or the market. Usually the bar is set too high. Some guys put a lot of cash into a car that they want to get back. Personalization along the way performed to please the owner does not always translate into value at sale time. I'm not saying don't enjoy your car. Just realize personal taste doesn't always reap reward in the end.
Peashooter
Everyone has made good points. I don't have pictures of the car in question at this time, but the PO, who is now deceased, bought the car about 1975, drove it, but kept it in good shape. He had it repainted by a top notch shop, and had the engine rebuilt by a known builder. It has always been garaged, never a bit of rust.
I posted the question because folks will ask a lot for their car, but asking and selling are two different things.
Mike Fitton
My experience on really nice 914's and 914-6's is they don't get advertised, word of mouth sells them or the owner has a list of people who want to buy. I sold a really nice '74 2.0 in May of 2014 for $20,000 and thought it was all the money, no advertising! I have a list of people who want to buy my '70 914-6 if I ever want to sell, currently not interested in selling but if I do it will be for all the money again!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Peashooter @ Sep 30 2015, 06:53 AM) *
... never a bit of rust.

bs.gif

There's always some rust. These cars rusted on the boat over from Germany--if not before then! "Never a bit of rust" just means you haven't looked hard enough yet.

--DD
Kansas 914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 30 2015, 02:46 AM) *

My friend sold his '71 914/6 for $85K to a dealer in CA so the price is valid. It was a Concurs winning example though.

Condition is everything.
patssle
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2015, 10:42 AM) *

Btw - if anyone out there has a good running 6 and is willing to sell it for $40k or less, I've got cash in hand.

Deal! You didn't say original six. tongue.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 30 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Second in line to sell my /6 for $40k. lol-2.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 30 2015, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 30 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Second in line to sell my /6 for $40k. lol-2.gif

Yes, forgot to say origional.

Origional six
Dominic
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 29 2015, 12:21 PM) *

I would have to say in the 50's absent pictures and more info. These cars are going crazy in prize when you see rusted out stripped shells for $16,500.

I would love to see pictures of this car to come up with a realistic value that does not short the seller on the value of her car.

You are correct that prices are insane...remember not long ago a non-running barn find needing a total restoration sold on Ebay for $33,000. I would think that $35 - $40k would be a steal for a running/driving car that needs the normal TLC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.