Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas cap leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dimmer
So I found my gas smell on my 74, it is coming from my gas cap. No problem I figure, I will just order a new metal gas cap....
NLA...
Any ideas on how to get a new gasket, will the plastic gasket on later models fit?
Joe Bob
NLA from who?

Tried GPR?

Tried cutting a new gasket?
914GT
Cut a new piece like Mikez said. I went to Ace Hardware and bought a piece of rubber about 1/8" thick for a buck. Then used the old gasket to trace onto the new piece and cut it with a razor knife. Put it in the cap and no more gas smell.
McMark
Wolfsburg West (the vw place) sells new gas cap gaskets in 70 mm, 80 mm, and 90 mm sizes. I *THINK* ours are 70 mm, but someone can check.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 6 2005, 10:06 AM)
Wolfsburg West (the vw place) sells new gas cap gaskets in 70 mm, 80 mm, and 90 mm sizes. I *THINK* ours are 70 mm, but someone can check.

they also happen to be less than a mile from my house idea.gif
Ctrout
I went to my local 10 minute oil change place and dug around in their used oil filter bin for about 5 minutes until I found one with a rubber seal that fit my cap. I'm cheap though, you may prefer to buy the material to make your own.
ejm
I *THINK* ours are 70 mm, but someone can check.

Yup..PET lists it at 70mm.

You may also want to check the gasket between the filler neck and the tank. If it's leaking you'll think its the cap. Gasket was still available last time I checked. p/n 914.201.893.10
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.