Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling tins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirIke
Let me start off by saying thanks for the info about the oil pressure on my car. We change out the oil sender and cleaned the oil release springs. This solved the proble of what was making the oil pressure light come on. Now we need your help again. We need to know what position the bar on top of the engine that open and close the cooling tins. We think open is where the tap on the bar is straight up and down. and close is when the tap on the bar is back toward the rear of the car. Is this correct?
Reiche
Default is open. By that I mean the spring on the rod will keep the flaps open unless the thermostat pulls them closed.
SirIke
the car does not have a thermostat on it. I want to open and close the cooling tins manually.
Reiche
If the spring around the rod is installed and working, they should be open whether you have a thermostat or not.

BTW, why do you want to do it manually?
SirIke
THE engine feels like it is very hot in one position and not as hot in the other. Or do you think I should install a new thermostat to be on the safe side
Reiche
If you haven't yet, see this thread. It should help answer your questions.
SirAndy
QUOTE (SirIke @ Mar 6 2005, 10:31 AM)
THE engine feels like it is very hot in one position and not as hot in the other. Or do you think I should install a new thermostat to be on the safe side

the flaps are on full cooling when the flap on the pass. side is DOWN ...
that way, it'll funnel the most air down and over the oil-cooler!

most people are confused by this, so i say it again,

pass. side flap needs to be DOWN (horizontal) for full cooling !

cool.gif Andy
McMark
In houston, don't worry about the thermostat. Just disconnect the cable from the flappers all-together and it will be set on full cooling. The thermostat is just to help the engine warm up faster. Not a problem in a warm climate, such as Texas. Sounds like you're thinking it will solve your overheating problems. It won't. Unhook it if you're in doubt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.