Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Olympic Blue Resurrection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Olympic 914
Installed the hood and bumpers and did some more tuning to the MPS. Then out for state inspection and alignment and we are ready to drive.

Click to view attachment

I had set up the MPS using the figures for a 037 MPS on Anders site. This ended up being Waaay too lean for my engine configuration. I was obsessing over getting the readings accurate when I happened to call Chris Foley to ask about another thing and mentioned this. He told me to just back out the inner screw 1 turn or more. Since my previous adjustments were like a few degrees at a time one full turn seemed crazy.. But hey what do I know….

I went 1 ¼ turns for good measure and got a mixture that was too rich. Good, change in the right direction.

One more adjustment and I think its PERFECT. I don’t even want to touch it again.

Great AFR numbers cruising and the head temps are right where they should be. It’s a little rich on start-up with AFR at around 10.8 – 11.2 and doesn’t idle real smooth, but after about two miles it warms up enough to be in the low 13s. and idles nice then, I’m fine with that.

Did my first oil change from the Brad Penn break in oil at 450 mile and put in Brad Penn 20-50. I now have 675 miles on the rebuilt engine and it runs great.

Got the new carpet installed and the rest of the interior. Replacing all the door seals and new door panels from 914Rubber.

Could not be happier, I am driving it a good bit and had forgotten how much fun it was. The motorcycles will be getting jealous.

I still have a couple little things to do, like the rear valence which I will be putting on, and getting a radio hooked up. But for now…

I am calling it DONE. !!!

It took just over four years to get from something that for most would be a lost cause and just a parts car to something that turns heads anytime I drive it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
That.
Is.
So.
BEAUTIFUL!

Wow, just fabulous. wub.gif
Matty900
first.gif beerchug.gif Beautiful car, great job!!
JoeD
Congratulations! It's an awesome feeling to get it back out on road. Car looks great!
Rleog
Fantastic job. Your skills are superb. The paint work is great. I can appreciate how difficult that is to get right.

Well done. Have fun.

Andyrew
Congrats!! Looks fantastic!
burton73
Very nice job. Love the color and the contrast of the black to the blue.
Enjoy

Bob B
smilie_pokal.gif
Olympic 914
Thanks for all your kind words. this would have been much harder without the 914World brain trust to help out. and along the way I learned many things that may help others down the road..

During one of my "test drives" we went to Ligonier PA, a friend owns an Ice Cream shop on the Diamond. we were fortunate to get a parking spot on the diamond near the shop, and when I opened the door to get out after parking, there was a guy standing there. He said "Nice car" and all and I was only really half listening to him when I heard him say "I have one" Now I am paying closer attention. I said this was a '73. so was his. So now we start talking a bit more, him telling me it was his fathers car and it was passed down to him. After a bit my GF decides to go into the ice cream shop and about 5 or so minutes later I join her. We were just finishing up our ice cream and headed out to show our friend Dave the car, when the guy walks into the shop. He said "I thought you might want to see it" Well it turns out he only lives a couple minutes away and not only did he go home, get his car to bring it down but somehow also got a parking spot on the diamond RIGHT NEXT TO ME! Unbelivable.. he had introduced himself to me as Russ but turns out his nickname is Rusty. av-943.gif lol-2.gif

His car wasn't rusty though. '73 1.7 still had the djet. it was like we had our own little car show going on with all the people walking up admiring the cars and asking questions.

Dave the ice cream shop owner was incredulous, what are the chances of someone around even owning another one of these cars let alone bringing it down and parking next to me....

Fun Times.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Ice cream, 914s and new friends. What could be better? first.gif
Olympic 914

Since finishing the car I have been taking small trips increasing the mileage each time, I had racked up about 1600 miles on the rebuilt engine and in October 2017 we were heading to Niagara Falls Canada for a little vacation. Well things were running good rolling along at about 70-75 until I heard an unusual ticking noise. So I got off the interstate about a ½ mile later and limped into a little shop with a VW Beetle and a 928 sitting outside. The owner came out smiling and pointed out a 914 sitting on the side. I knew then this was a good place to be. Anyways after poking around and pulling some plug wires we determined that #3 was dead. That explained the CHT gauge reading so low. So onto the flatbed it went. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

After getting it home and pulling the valve cover off I discovered that one of the rocker arm studs on #3 had busted and the other had come loose. So the engine had to come out to fix it. To pull the head you have to take off most of the cooling tins and I felt like I had really gone backwards.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Took the head to a machine shop I use regularly but it didn’t work out so well this time. It’s a one man shop and he had a lot of other things going on, after 7 weeks of “it will be ready next Tuesday or Wednesday” I picked up the head and took it somewhere else for the repair. But now we are into December, and really at the end of the driving season.

While the engine was out I bought into the 123 Ignition GB and installed that. Also the CV’s were making some noise and when I disassembled them I discovered that a couple snap rings had come loose and was allowing the axle to walk back and forth and rub on the trans flanges. Since I had seen CuddyK’s video of him unboxing the new axles available from Porsche, I ordered a set of these. Mine looked to be probably still usable but with 137K miles on them I figured new ones should be the last ones I would have to buy.

By February I had everything back together and the engine reinstalled.

I am now going through the same process of taking small trips and keeping an eye on the head temps, AFR and oil temps. Everything seems to be running smoothly and within recommended ranges. It has about 2000 miles on it so far, but still feels a little tight.

Planning to bring it to Hershey this year and let it see some other running 914s

Keeping my fingers crossed.
raynekat
Just about my favorite narrow body car on this website....a stud of a car. The color, all the attention to detail, etc. Hope it's a small problem easily fixed. Still jealous as hell with your rear calipers you dog. Best of luck with everything.
Olympic 914
Right now I am running without a rear valence. I kind of like the Hot-rod look of it. And even though the Triad muffler looks cool, it does seem to be missing something.

Click to view attachment

My old valence had cut-outs for the Monza type muffler I used to run. And it was well done. But now of course that will not work. I picked up a nice stock rear valence at Hershey and had planned to modify that to fit the Triad muffler, since the one side already had the correct cut-out. But now I think that I would rather not modify a good stock part. So I dug out the old valence and found it really wasn’t in bad shape. And I was looking for a welding project to help me learn to use the MIG.
So I decided to do some welding.

Click to view attachment

The old cut-out was just covered with a piece of sheet metal and spot welded on so I had to take that off.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then I formed a couple pieces to fill in the old notches and used them as a pattern to cut out the valence.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welding these in was tricky because the only metal I had around that was close was 22 ga .
You might as well be trying to weld tinfoil. I used a big hunk of copper for a heat sink to help prevent burn through. And a HF copper welding backer for places I couldn’t get the big piece into.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not a pretty as the Metal Surgeon work but no pin holes, and I don’t care about a little body work on it. When it’s mounted you would have to be on your knees to critique my work anyways.

Next I have to make a pattern of the cut-out and transfer it to the other side, leaving enough to fold under. I might have to cut a couple splits to get it to fold under right but time will tell. And I may get to do more practice welding.

I am kind of hoping it looks like it was meant to be this way.
tygaboy
You might have a go at making a hammer form to use when creating the other side opening. It's amazing how much you can get metal to move and what a nice finish you can get. Best of all is no welding/distorting/grinding of the metal (assuming your hammer form is a good fit.)

No matter the method, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

And I agree: This is one of the prettiest cars on the World. Great job!

Dion
Just bumping this back up to say, I don’t know how I missed this resto Tom.
That’s a beautiful 914. Well done. Hope it’s running well for you
& how did the valence turn out?
Hope to see ya at Hershey one day or Carlisle!
Olympic 914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 23 2018, 02:42 PM) *

You might have a go at making a hammer form to use when creating the other side opening. It's amazing how much you can get metal to move and what a nice finish you can get. Best of all is no welding/distorting/grinding of the metal (assuming your hammer form is a good fit.)

No matter the method, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

And I agree: This is one of the prettiest cars on the World. Great job!

Did some more work on this, Decided to follow tygaboys suggestion of making a hammer form.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And after some bodywork and paint it is installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
So some time had passed before finishing the rear valence because I had other things to deal with like the broken trunk hinge. Decided to pull the engine out to make it easier to repair and using the lathe cut a grease grove in the hinge bolts to prevent it from happening again. (I hope)

Details of that repair are here> http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=334897&hl=

Of course there are always some "while you're in there" things to do.

like fixing the leaking oil temp sender taco plate, setting the valves and replacing the throttle cable. The throttle cable had cracked at the ferrule so to help support it I put some heat shrink over the ferrule / cable and dug a spring out of the stash that just fit tight.

Click to view attachment

Then I always thought it sat a little too high and the KYB shocks were just a stopgap measure to get me on the road.

Time for some proper Koni's

Ground Control fixed me up with a package that included the shocks, springs and adjustable sleeves. since this is mainly a street car I decided to go with the 125# springs for the ride, my old springs were 100 or 110# so not much of a change there.

If I don't like it.... springs are not too expensive or hard to change.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So now its sitting at a much nicer height. AND will probably ride better.

I can't wait for better weather to try them out on the local twisties.
mepstein
You will be thrilled with the ride.
steuspeed
This looks like a cool set-up with these Koni Ground Control coil over shocks.
Olympic 914
2019 Winter projects.

During some of my drives I noticed the oil temps getting high, into the 240-250 range on hot days. So adding an aux oil cooler seemed to be a good idea. Guess the 2056 makes a little more heat than the stock 1.7.

Mentioned this at Okteenerfest and Danny @Bahnzai sent me a sandwich adapter he wasn’t using, giving me some more incentive.

I used a Setrab 119 fanpack cooler and their 180 deg cooler thermostat, I added the 190 deg switch to trigger the fan. Looking through other oil cooler threads I liked the routing of lines above the tins so as not to block the valve cover.

Pictures of the brackets, everything fits in there nice.

It helps to have a friend with a bandsaw and bending brake.

Click to view attachment

With this short of a run from the adapter to the thermostat the AN10 lines may as well be rigid. So I had to have the lines determine the position of the thermostat.

I used the hole that the J tube used to go into. I was getting plenty of heat with just the one hose from the blower anyways. I capped the S pipe.

Click to view attachment

the fan thermostat is mounted in the black piece in this picture It also allowed me to stack the lines vertically on their way to the cooler.

Click to view attachment

The fan is a pull through type, with shroud.

Click to view attachment

Space is a premium in this area and I had to make a standoff to move the MPS a couple inches so everything would clear.

Click to view attachment

Used AN10 lines to give enough flow. Things are pretty crowded in this area now, I was worried about clearing the injectors. But everything clears. it isn't easy getting your fingers down in there to work though.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The best part is I didn't have to remove the engine to install everything.

Being March, the temps are not yet hot enough for a real test but a speed run down the turnpike today, a 60 deg day, I only saw the oil temps hit 205 and it moves back down much quicker than it used to.
bahnzai
Tom,
What a nice clean job! Congrats. That should give you nice results this summer!
get off my lawn
Wait, you started a 914 project and actually finished it and drove it?
Shame on you, that's that's not allowed.
You are supposed to work on it for the rest of your natural life and "almost" get it running or almost ready for paint.

BTW great looking car, I like.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 17 2019, 04:31 PM) *

So some time had passed before finishing the rear valence because I had other things to deal with like the broken trunk hinge. Decided to pull the engine out to make it easier to repair and using the lathe cut a grease grove in the hinge bolts to prevent it from happening again. (I hope)

Details of that repair are here> http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=334897&hl=

Of course there are always some "while you're in there" things to do.

like fixing the leaking oil temp sender taco plate, setting the valves and replacing the throttle cable. The throttle cable had cracked at the ferrule so to help support it I put some heat shrink over the ferrule / cable and dug a spring out of the stash that just fit tight.

Click to view attachment

Then I always thought it sat a little too high and the KYB shocks were just a stopgap measure to get me on the road.

Time for some proper Koni's

Ground Control fixed me up with a package that included the shocks, springs and adjustable sleeves. since this is mainly a street car I decided to go with the 125# springs for the ride, my old springs were 100 or 110# so not much of a change there.

If I don't like it.... springs are not too expensive or hard to change.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So now its sitting at a much nicer height. AND will probably ride better.

I can't wait for better weather to try them out on the local twisties.

Received my triad also for 1.7/1.8 HE and also bought same as your rear shocks, which is still missing in action since Feb 27 by USPS. It was shipped last Feb 18 from Florida and arrived LA facility last Feb. 23. Seller (member here) called usps and I emailed them but same status that it is at Belle Garden facility until now. Hope I can still get them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Just COOLIN' it

Was pretty happy with the results of the oil cooler installation (See post #119)

Driving it quite a bit and the oil temps rarely get over 220. even on the hottest days, and we have had a run of 90+ deg days lately.

But I remember a situation when I had a Thermostat flap issue, and pulled over in traffic to let it cool down. I had popped the engine lid to cool things off and pulled back out onto the highway forgetting to close it again. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. I do have a rain tray fitted.

This got me thinking about the GT lids that Sergio makes. @PCA7GGR Since he has acquired a lot of lids to work with, I wouldn't have to give up my original lid as a core.

Definite plus.

So I finally ordered one and after getting a set of letters from Mark I installed it yesterday.

Took a few tweeks to get it fit my car right, but I like it.

And now in the late fall I can put the regular lid with rain tray back on. then switch it out when the weather gets hotter.

drove it around yesterday for about 30 miles, it was in the low 80s so not as hot as it has been.

CHT numbers were noticeably down. I expect that it will help reduce the oil temps also.

Maybe I will get a temp gauge like @Gregamy has and do a back to back comparison with GT lid vs stock lid +raintray.

Under Trunk Temp thread. > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=347282

It would be interesting to see how much the GT lid affects the other temps, like oil and CHT. It may even drop the under trunk temps.

The real test will be the drive to Teenerpaluza, I wanted to have this installed before the ride down.

See Yinz there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PCA7GGR
Damn, your '14 looks great - drive on!
GregAmy
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 31 2020, 08:58 AM) *

And now in the late fall I can put the regular lid with rain tray back on. then switch it out when the weather gets hotter.

I like that idea! It would certainly address my concerns about water intrusion in the Spring and Fall...are these things a PITA to remove/replace?

I dropped my IATs by 25-30F with this chintzy test setup (IAT probe screwed into the bottom of the airbox.)

Haven't decided how I'm going to incorporate it permanently, as I need a way for water to collect and drain out before the airbox. Honda uses a plastic resonator in the fenderwell with a drain hole at its bottom, I may do something like that. I suppose I could drill a small drain hole at the lowest part of the metal airbox and that would do the same thing...after all, the air is pulling UP through the filter there so water ingestion is highly unlikely...and I think I'll modify one of the side grills to pull air from permanently.

Edit: as an aside, this car really really really should have been designed with side air intakes, similar to what the first-gen Toyota MR2 had. It was a good thing for that mid-engine car, and they weren't even cooling the engine with that air! If we had side scoops on both sides then the engine compartment would get flooded with cooler ambient air instead of trying to pull both induction, oil, and engine cooling air around a plastic/covered grill located in a low-pressure area.
Olympic 914
I like that hose setup. I had an idea bouncing around in my head of pulling air from the little side screen and directing it down to the oil cooler.

Maybe using a marine bilge blower. they are small enough and already set up for hose attachments.

I don't know if they would hold up to continual use though.

More food for thought.....
PCA7GGR
If you plan to swap your GT lid with the "stock" on for the rainy season, cut slots on the engine lid hinges. This will enable you to loosen (instead of removing) the 10mm bolts and slide the lids on and off.
djway
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 31 2020, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 31 2020, 08:58 AM) *

I like that idea! It would certainly address my concerns about water intrusion in the Spring and Fall...are these things a PITA to remove/replace?

I dropped my IATs by 25-30F with this chintzy test setup (IAT probe screwed into the bottom of the airbox.)

Haven't decided how I'm going to incorporate it permanently, as I need a way for water to collect and drain out before the airbox. Honda uses a plastic resonator in the fenderwell with a drain hole at its bottom, I may do something like that. I suppose I could drill a small drain hole at the lowest part of the metal airbox and that would do the same thing...after all, the air is pulling UP through the filter there so water ingestion is highly unlikely...and I think I'll modify one of the side grills to pull air from permanently.

Edit: as an aside, this car really really really should have been designed with side air intakes, similar to what the first-gen Toyota MR2 had. It was a good thing for that mid-engine car, and they weren't even cooling the engine with that air! If we had side scoops on both sides then the engine compartment would get flooded with cooler ambient air instead of trying to pull both induction, oil, and engine cooling air around a plastic/covered grill located in a low-pressure area.

How about placing a box inline, drain out bottom, hose out to intake from top or something similar
brcacti
It is truly amazing to me how skillfull good body men are are at bringing back the rusted dead cars. Hard to believe what they do. On a car like this I would have thought there is no way before I came on this forum. Makes me believe man can do almost anything when he puts his mind to it. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
Olympic 914
Well all of my work got some National recognition.

Panorama did a feature on my car.

Click to view attachment

Back in October I received a cryptic email.

14 Pages -----

That’s all the email said. It was from Rich Chenet, A photographer I met on the way back from Hershey in 2019.

I was driving the 914 and had just pulled into a rest stop on the PA turnpike. I parked Waay down the lot, away from everyone.

Then a Saab station wagon pulls up and parks right in front of me. WTF.

This guy gets out and says “Hey, You wanna RACE?” I laughed and said “No I don’t want to race, I’m just happy to make up these hills without overheating.”

Then he proceeds to tell me about how fast his Saab wagon was, with its big Turbo. …blah blah blah.

Turns out he was also on his way back from the Hershey Swap meet. He had been taking pictures there. He is a photographer for Panorama and other automotive magazines. So we are talking and he is checking out the car.

And then he takes a few pictures, with his Phone. He has all this high end equipment and he’s taking pictures of my car with his phone….

We bullshit a bit more and I tell him a little about the car.

Then we exchange numbers and emails and off I go.

Couple months later I get a phone call from him, He says Pano is interested in my car and wanted some background story.

It turns out Rich is a really cool guy but just likes to mess with you.

In July 2019 we get together to take some pictures.

This time he has all the high end gear and takes about 700+ pictures.

More time passes and a Pano writer Ted West contacts me and we spend a couple hours on the phone talking about the car. What I did to it, How long I had it, Funny stories etc.

And time kept rolling on.

Finally I get a message that it was going to be in the Nov. 2020 issue.

So if you get Porsche Panorama magazine be sure to check out the 14 Page ... article this month on my Olympic Blue 1973 914.

Rich Chenet did a great job with the pictures and Ted West wrote a humorous and informative story.

Guess this will be my Fifteen Minutes of Fame that Andy Warhol predicted everyone will have once in their life. piratenanner.gif

Its great to see our little cars getting some attention, Even though I am obviously biased. laugh.gif

Link to thread > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2867382

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Photographer Rich Chenet.

Click to view attachment
Jamie
The Pano story caught my attention at how loyal an owner can be to a quirky little car like ours. I just finished reading through the entire build thread, and it is an amazing story. Congratulations for a job really well done! smilie_pokal.gif
nivekdodge
Tom
Beautiful job! DO you still have it? I am new and just starting, building a rotisserie to do my floors. Good to see another yinzer here. Maybe I'll catch you at the PVGP

Kevin
Olympic 914
Put the bullet nosed studs on the rear last February.

I saw these on a buddy's drag car, thought they really looked good.
and will let me add some spacers.

Got around to doing the fronts this week.

was getting some rubbing with the 225-50 x16s on the Pass side so I put 2mm spacers on to try and reduce that some.

Not much space there, I tried 3mm spacers and it rubbed on the outer lip.

Click to view attachment

I'll be running 7mm spacers on the front, to bring them out a little, lots of room on the front.

Painted the A calipers with VHT caliper paint, They were getting a little cruddy looking.

Click to view attachment

And with the Fuchs mounted

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Another February project

Was FINALLY doing a cut and buff on the paint, PPG Single stage that was put on 4 years ago and really got hard.

It looked pretty good but I had put 6 coats on and had some marks on the trunk lid I didn't like. So the time was right.

Click to view attachment

Started out blocking with 1200g on a Durablock, went to 1500, and 2000. Then got the DA and did 3000 gr and 5000gr.

Pictures of this process are hard to see the difference.

Then using 3M system of 3 different buffing compunds.

Took a LONG time but the results are worth it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Righteous car, nice work. Congrats on the spread
nivekdodge
Tom
3m has 8000 gr now. You can make the jump from 3000-8000. Once you hit 8 it's nothing to buff. Looks sweet either way

Kevin
Olympic 914
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Feb 19 2022, 10:24 PM) *

3m has 8000 gr now. You can make the jump from 3000-8000. Once you hit 8 it's nothing to buff. Looks sweet either way

I still have a bunch of the 3M 5000, I see they are discontinuing that.

Can't imagine how fine the 8000 would be.

Interesting thought.
930cabman
Just read the entire thread, great project and story. Thank you for documenting your work.

Just one ? how does anyone find the time for these builds??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.