Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Madmax914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
madmax914
The car is a ’74 1.8L presently on jack stands with both front and rear suspensions removed. Motor and transaxle is removed with plans for a Subaru conversion. Driver side floor pan under the seat has rust which I plan on replacing and of course the battery tray is rusted pretty badly. This was an A/C car so the front trunk had been cutout which I have tacked in a replacement panel from Restoration and Design. The body itself has been blasted and a sealer coat of primer has been applied to protect the metal, by no means is ready for paint by my standards. The underside of the car is as it was from the factory 41 years ago. I have a little surface rust in the trunk area, which is remarkable considering it has spent most of its life in the Pacific Northwest.

My plans are to convert the drive train to a Subaru motor (turbo) & transmission. I will attempt to use the Outfront Motorsport header which relocates the turbo to the front of the motor. I also plan on fabricating a bulkhead type motor mount in the front to give me more room for the exhaust. I have already purchase all the parts for a 911 suspension including Bilstein coil over front struts. Wide body is a must and at this point I am really considering going wider that the GT fender widths. The car will sit as low as possible at a height that will allow it be driven on the streets. Many of the body panels will be replaced for fiberglass to lighten the car. All bodywork and paint(not my first rodeo but not an expert either), will be handled by myself since I’m too cheap to pay someone else to do it. As for the interiors it needs a complete overhaul and I’ll modify with Sparco/Recaro type seats and possibly do Auto Meter type gauges. I would like this car to meet the criteria most would think of when describing it as a true “Outlaw” car.

BTW when you see my picture it will be clear why I call myself madmax914.
madmax914
This is the motor, 2004 2.0L WRX turbo motor with 55,000 original miles. I picked up this motor from Jrust, Thank you Jamie!
Andyrew
Should be fun to watch this one!
JRust
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 1 2015, 10:43 AM) *

This is the motor, 2004 2.0L WRX turbo motor with 55,000 original miles. I picked up this motor from Jrust, Thank you Jamie!

I only regret it every other week confused24.gif shades.gif
914forme
Oh wow this will be a fun one to watch, another sub conversion. With a different mount. popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
A conversion?...not fair, they get more points...hahaha

Looks like that is going to be a fun car when done....good luck and have blast!
Nutter965
Mmm this is going to be sweet, nice looking shell to work with
madmax914
Here is my Outfront coated header and the stock turbo that Outfront polished for me.
madmax914
Just finished up making a couple parts for the bulkhead motor mount. These will mount to the bulkhead, the plate that is tacked to the bulkhead is 1/8" and the tubing is all 1/8" walled 1x2 rectangle tubing. The round tubing is 1-5/8" and allows me to use the Energy Suspension bushings. This front motor mount will be very much like a naro914 Porsche six cylinder motor mount. His is what I would consider an upgraded Patrick mount, both are very good quality strong motor mounts.

I still have to clean up the grinds a weld but you get the idea.
dangerranger01
Right on! Another oregon build....i'm excited to see this subie conversion finished....i just might want to do that on mine....
madmax914
QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Oct 4 2015, 07:06 PM) *

Right on! Another oregon build....i'm excited to see this subie conversion finished....i just might want to do that on mine....

Let me get it in and see if it'll work. On paper it should. If you decide to let me know I'll walk you through it.
914forme
Nice looking engine mount. Should work fine, lots of 914-6 running around with similar mounts from Patrick Motorsports.

Maybe I should change my mount. idea.gif
Chris H.
I'm thinking the same thing... idea.gif I like that idea.
madmax914
Taking the night off from working on the car, local Tap House has Widmer Brothers Brewing there giving away goodies. I'm a sucker for beer goodies!
Andyrew
Widmer's got some good stuff!
Garland
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 9 2015, 05:13 PM) *

I'm sure this has been discussed several times on this forum but I'm just not finding it in a search. I would like to know how much wider are the GT fenders front and rear than stock fenders? I know they allow you to put a 7" wheel/tire combo in the front and 8" in the rear but I'm looking for an actual measument. If I hold a new GT fender up to a stock fender what is the measurement from lip to lip?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Michigan Build here,

I'm hanging Fenders in my build, measures at outer lip, to outer lip is 2" front and rear.

Garland
JRust
Hey Brett are you using the stock oil pan? I'm going to be changing mine. Outfront basically cuts the stock one down & welds on a new bottom. A little more to it but it get's closer to like 4 1/4" as opposed to the 6 1/2" or so stock. Only thing I don't like is losing some oil capacity with it. Small car has a nice aluminum one which I think I prefer. Keeps the stock oil capacity. Which has to mean its a litter bigger around. So just not sure if it will fit with my cradle. I think I have a little space to work with there. Anyway feel free to buy the small car mount for yours. Then I can borrow it to see if it will fit mine happy11.gif
madmax914
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 10 2015, 11:28 AM) *

Hey Brett are you using the stock oil pan? I'm going to be changing mine. Outfront basically cuts the stock one down & welds on a new bottom. A little more to it but it get's closer to like 4 1/4" as opposed to the 6 1/2" or so stock. Only thing I don't like is losing some oil capacity with it. Small car has a nice aluminum one which I think I prefer. Keeps the stock oil capacity. Which has to mean its a litter bigger around. So just not sure if it will fit with my cradle. I think I have a little space to work with there. Anyway feel free to buy the small car mount for yours. Then I can borrow it to see if it will fit mine happy11.gif

The Outfront oil pan and header was the first thing I bought when you sold me the motor. Already mounted and on the motor. Thanks for thinking of me.
JRust
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 10 2015, 11:56 AM) *

The Outfront oil pan and header was the first thing I bought when you sold me the motor. Already mounted and on the motor. Thanks for thinking of me.

With the header mounted. How much does the header drop below the oil pan?
madmax914
It doesn't the pans about 1-1/2" below the headers.
madmax914
I have the motor and transmission in place so I can finish the motor mounts. The good news is the header and turbo fits nice between the motor and the firewall. There's about an inch between the turbo and firewall.
Andyrew
Pretty nice fitment! What are you going to do about heat from the turbo?
madmax914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 13 2015, 09:27 PM) *

Pretty nice fitment! What are you going to do about heat from the turbo?

Probably a turbo blanket, the exhaust out the turbo will be ceramic coated. I'm going to try Lizard Skin spray on heat shield on the firewall.

Open to suggestion
914GTSTI
What is your idea for the motor cradle ?
Randy
madmax914
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Oct 13 2015, 09:49 PM) *

What is your idea for the motor cradle ?
Randy

I'm not using a cradle, I will be doing a bulkhead mount very similar to the Patrick Motorsport 914-6 bulkhead mount. You can see the bulkhead cross bar that will mount to the motor.

Stay tuned for more to come. I should have more to show you this weekend.
flmont
whats the cost,..and pwr of a motor like that !!! (ball park..) Thnxs
madmax914
QUOTE(flmont @ Oct 14 2015, 09:26 PM) *

whats the cost,..and pwr of a motor like that !!! (ball park..) Thnxs

I purchased this motor from a member here on World, it had been in a 914 and was removed to do a V-8 conversion.

You can pick up these JDM engines on Ebay or CL, they range from $1,600-$1,900. A STi motor will be in the $3,500-$5,500 range depending on year and mileage.
Chris H.
I'm sure you're going to show is, but what will you attach the mount to on the engine side? A smallcar mount?
madmax914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 15 2015, 09:38 AM) *

I'm sure you're going to show is, but what will you attach the mount to on the engine side? A smallcar mount?

Yes, a Smallcar mount, rectangular steel tubing will connect the two Smallcar brackets and two arms will go forward and attach to the round stock on the fire wall.

Keep your fingers crossed that this will all work out. Its worked on many a Porsche six.
Chris H.
Yeah I can picture that. Then the whole underside is clear for the exhaust. No mount bar at all. Like it.
madmax914
That is the beauty of it all, nothing to interfere with exhaust or axles. I installed the cut down oil pan from Outfront now the lowers point of the car is the bottom of the car!
914forme
Yes that is what I am liking about this design. And the fact that I can play around again a nd redo something I have done 3X times headbang.gif
madmax914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 15 2015, 11:00 AM) *

Yes that is what I am liking about this design. And the fact that I can play around again a nd redo something I have done 3X times headbang.gif

Before I started this, I over analyzed it quite a bit, measured, re-measured talked to other members and felt like it should work. So depending on how it all goes I have Jamie(Jrust) to credit or blame. lol-2.gif
JRust
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 15 2015, 11:12 AM) *

Before I started this, I over analyzed it quite a bit, measured, re-measured talked to other members and felt like it should work. So depending on how it all goes I have Jamie(Jrust) to credit or blame. lol-2.gif

Yes my genius is commonly misunderstood as idiocy huh.gif . How are you going to do exhaust from your Turbo?
madmax914
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 15 2015, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 15 2015, 11:12 AM) *

Yes my genius is commonly misunderstood as idiocy huh.gif . How are you going to do exhaust from your Turbo?

When I bought the OF header I also bought an exhaust flange so I'll run 2-1/2" exhaust in to a single-inlet/single-outlet MagnaFlow muffler and out the rear of the car. I'm not sure what I'll do for tips. So the exhaust I got with the motor will go unused. If you have a need for it or know someone let me know. Besides it won't fit between the rear of the Subaru Transmission and the rear valance.
JRust
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 15 2015, 01:04 PM) *

When I bought the OF header I also bought an exhaust flange so I'll run 2-1/2" exhaust in to a single-inlet/single-outlet MagnaFlow muffler and out the rear of the car. I'm not sure what I'll do for tips. So the exhaust I got with the motor will go unused. If you have a need for it or know someone let me know. Besides it won't fit between the rear of the Subaru Transmission and the rear valance.

I'm just curious how you'll loop it back from on high. I'll come up to see when you get there. Am considering just adding a Turbo to my NA 2.5 so I'd end up doing something similar exhaust wise
madmax914
Finished the front bulkhead motor mount.
madmax914
If you look close you can see the Small Car motor mount brackets that I attached the motormount to. They sold me just the brackets that bolt to the Subaru block.
madmax914
It's difficult to see but the oil pan is just about level with the bottom of the tub.
Mueller
Nice looking mount!

madmax914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2015, 06:51 PM) *

Nice looking mount!

Thank you, it is working out better than I expected.
Andyrew
Good job on the mount!
mgp4591
The mount looks pretty slick! What did OF charge you for the brackets only if you don't mind? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
madmax914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 25 2015, 09:41 PM) *

The mount looks pretty slick! What did OF charge you for the brackets only if you don't mind? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

$195+ shipping
porsaru
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 13 2015, 08:56 PM) *

I have the motor and transmission in place so I can finish the motor mounts. The good news is the header and turbo fits nice between the motor and the firewall. There's about an inch between the turbo and firewall.

Are you considering flipping the intake manifold to shorten your charge pipe? Or possibly adding a water to air intercooler because the airflow for the air to air intercooler is not that great. I would recommend this addition while your at it.
madmax914
QUOTE(porsaru @ Nov 13 2015, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 13 2015, 08:56 PM) *

Are you considering flipping the intake manifold to shorten your charge pipe? Or possibly adding a water to air intercooler because the airflow for the air to air intercooler is not that great. I would recommend this addition while your at it.

I have an air to air innercooler and tubing that came with the motor that I may work for me. This motor was previously in a 914 and he didn't have the intake flipped, I'll have to wait when at that point to see what I'll need to do. The passenger side of the motor will have the pipe coming off the turbo so there will be an issue with heat on that side so that leaves me with mounting one above the motor on the left side or even the rear trunk area. I'm very fortunate about an hour north of me is Extreme Turbo Systems, they can build custom innercoolers and the plumbing to maximize the effectiveness of the turbo. Stay tuned this just staring to get interesting.
madmax914
I'm a little disappointed to announce that since my progress report in October no major work has been completed on my car. I've purchased some parts for the final assembly but the last three months have been pretty difficult around our home with illnesses and surgeries. I'm looking to jump back on it later this month and get some good updated pictures and descriptions of progress.
Gmanscott55
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Jan 11 2016, 02:15 PM) *

I'm a little disappointed to announce that since my progress report in October no major work has been completed on my car. I've purchased some parts for the final assembly but the last three months have been pretty difficult around our home with illnesses and surgeries. I'm looking to jump back on it later this month and get some good updated pictures and descriptions of progress.

I recently purchased a subie Turbo conversion from a member in Scottsdale . Lot's of pics and info . Just pm me. Hope you are feeling better .
madmax914
I'm 100% and back at it, Just bought a FG body kit and looking to fit it to the car.

Gmanscott, did you buy Suby conversion built by Kent at Percision Chassis. That is an over the top awesome build.
914forme
Hope all is going better such nice workmanship on that mount, I can't wait to see the rest of the car!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.