Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube bender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stacks914
Can anyone recommend a good tube bender? 1-3/4

Thank you!
76-914
Good for what? Going to make roll cages or exhaust systems for a living? Need to make an engine cradle once? confused24.gif
crawler
JD Squared, Inc.
r_towle
Lowbucktools
Stacks914
Cool I was thinking about just going with Jd squared as it's not too terribly priced. 76 I have two Porsches and like to buy quality tools. Both will require cages or might just make two cages. I have seen great reviews of the Jd squared product. Now while I will not be working in shop it might get used for a couple weeks a year or so. and I will check out low buck tools thanks guys!
ChrisFoley
1 3/4" is overkill for a 914 roll cage.
1 1/2 x .095 DOM is the standard size for SCCA and PCA for small cars.
Stacks914
Cool man THANK YOU!!! Do they follow the under 2500lbs rules still? Also do you have any idea where I can source the tubing around Omaha Ne. Currently I am at about 7.15 a foot to my door?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Oct 2 2015, 03:25 AM) *

Cool man THANK YOU!!! Do they follow the under 2500lbs rules still? Also do you have any idea where I can source the tubing around Omaha Ne. Currently I am at about 7.15 a foot to my door?

Yes, 2500lbs and down require 1 1/2od x .095w DOM.
You could buy a complete roll cage kit from me, delivered to your door.
At the moment I have two orders to fill. I'll be bending tubes later today.
ThePaintedMan
Buy Chris' cage. It's a work of art. Fits better than anything else out there, will keep you SAFE, and he ships it to you.
Stacks914
Chris as much as I have been drooling over your cage for some time now I will be building a sub frame for a corvette suspension front and rear and then tying it all together. With of course an ls engine and boxster trans. I do not know my exact requirements that I will need just yet! Plus i really want to try and do it myself! Appriciate your input though!!! I am down to 4.16 a foot with the new size! Thnks again man!
jd74914
QUOTE(crawler @ Oct 1 2015, 06:04 PM) *

JD Squared, Inc.

agree.gif Their Model 3 manual bender works great! A local Lemons team has one with a 2" receiver mount so it can be easily transported and used off a truck.

Chris' cages are really nice though...and bending tubes to perfectly follow the windshield and targa bar contour aren't super easy... biggrin.gif
Stacks914
Oh you make it sound so sexy... grouphug.gif av-943.gif

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 2 2015, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(crawler @ Oct 1 2015, 06:04 PM) *

JD Squared, Inc.

agree.gif Their Model 3 manual bender works great! A local Lemons team has one with a 2" receiver mount so it can be easily transported and used off a truck.

Chris' cages are really nice though...and bending tubes to perfectly follow the windshield and targa bar contour aren't super easy... biggrin.gif

Stacks914
Also what CLR die do you guys use/recomend?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Oct 2 2015, 04:09 PM) *

Also what CLR die do you guys use/recomend?

Most race organizations require bend radius to be at least 3x tube diameter.
I have a 1 1/2"OD X 4 1/2"CLR die set for my Hossfeld bender.
ChrisFoley
IMO, a 7" bend radius is too large for a 914 roll cage.
Hard to make the roll cage fit well when the bend radius is too large.
914forme
Good point Chris, and they only go down to 5" for 1-1/4" so if you plan on doing anything with a sanctioning body, you better read the rules.

So unless your building a sub 1500 lbs car that will not work.

Stacks914
Wow thanks for all the info!!!! Everything I needed, I heard mixed reviews on affordable tube benders while the price looks attractive it sounds like the quality of the workmanship and customer service was not. Anyway thanks again Everyone!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.