Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best place for stands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bryanthompson
I have the engine out of the car, no interior, but the wheels are still on. I want to get it up on 4 stands and take the wheels off and get to work on my rust problems. I can't seem to find the optimal place for all of my stands... either I get the front end waay too high, or the entire car ends up resting on just the front two! There's no damn way I'm getting near the car when it's this unstable.

I did find this thread (See, the search does work), which looks like something I can do:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...&hl=jack+stands
Pretty cool idea, and those are exactly like my stands.

Anyway, does anyone know where the best place to get my stands under the car would be so that the weight is as balanced as possible? I need to get to the longs and wheel well/hell hole area, basically.
Trekkor
I like the doughnuts as a jack stand point in the front or back. Or you can use the control arm pivot as the support if the suspension is staying on.

Most work can be performed off ramps under the rear wheels I've found wink.gif

KT
riverman
I have mine under the control arms up front and then at the rear I have them under a 2x4 that runs along the bottom of the firewall. This set up leaves all kinds of room under the rear of the car and makes getting around in the engine bay real easy, but if your longs aren't solid the car will bend. If you are working on your longs you can also support the rear of the car at the rear crossmember (where the tranny attaches) with a couple of adjustable jacks and this will allow you to adjust the frame alignment when you are working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.