Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: james dean's porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
max72914
Don't know if anyone has heard of this yet, but I live in Bellingham, and this seems pretty crazy
http://www.king5.com/story/life/2015/10/01...ngham/73132736/
EdwardBlume
That is bizarre.
eric9144
Wasn't it technically "stolen" while in transport? I'd think that would make the transfer and/or potentially really messy

"You know, it is kind of one hand has to wash the other. Whoever is the legal owner of the car, they'll get paid, but not without Shaun. And Shaun is not going to get paid without the owner of the car, so they need to work together and figure something out," said Grams.
beer3.gif
SirAndy
confused24.gif
Vysoc
Was there not a "CURSE" on any parts from that car. Anyone that bought anything from the car was "DOOMED" or involved in an accident of some kind.

I have been on the ghost tour in Key West and that community is alive with spooks!!

Just sayin!

Vysoc flag.gif
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(max72914 @ Oct 1 2015, 03:34 PM) *

Don't know if anyone has heard of this yet, but I live in Bellingham, and this seems pretty crazy

I live in B'ham as well and the local news radio KGMI is over reporting it without letting up. Today the radio mentioned that they know the guy that has it but they won't go further than that. So, for the little town of subdued excitement they have a big story now.
montoya 73 2.0
I don't know about you, but that would be hard to put behind a wall? Even though the motor, trans, hood, rear lid and doors were removed and scattered to who knows where.

Click to view attachment

Ed_F
I did a search on this car a few years ago, and found an interesting thread on the bird board.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...550-spyder.html

If there is a car behind a false wall in Bellingham, my guess would be that its the car Barris paraded around the country as the Dean car. Looks quite a bit different from the wreckage pictured above. I guess we'll know in due time.
max72914
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Oct 1 2015, 06:20 PM) *

I live in B'ham as well and the local news radio KGMI is over reporting it without letting up. Today the radio mentioned that they know the guy that has it but they won't go further than that. So, for the little town of subdued excitement they have a big story now.

Maybe itll put us on the map!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(max72914 @ Oct 2 2015, 12:40 AM) *

You're already on the map. Don't get too excited though, so is Omaha Nebraska...
EdwardBlume
What an interesting read!

So Barris' car is in WA?
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Ed_F @ Oct 1 2015, 08:02 PM) *

I did a search on this car a few years ago, and found an interesting thread on the bird board.

If there is a car behind a false wall in Bellingham, my guess would be that its the car Barris paraded around the country as the Dean car. Looks quite a bit different from the wreckage pictured above. I guess we'll know in due time.

Yep, the Pelican board says the Barris car isn't actually Dean's car...but he sure marketed it as such. So maybe this car is that Barris car. Gives it some cache, but it's not the real deal that seems to have some history to show were all the parts went...Dr bought the car for the motor, put it in his race car and scrapped the body (alumn = $)
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Ed_F @ Oct 1 2015, 09:02 PM) *

There is no way that Barris car pictured was in that accident. just look at the scene pictures and you can tell the difference.

James Dean Accident Reconstruction

zambezi
If you want to read up on it, search for some books by Lee Raskin. He is the upmost expert on this crash and the Dean cars. He has always stated that Barrris is full of s**t
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(max72914 @ Oct 1 2015, 09:40 PM) *

Since Bellingham is a drop off point for the Alaska Tundra and Canadian Wilderness the only thing that put Bellingham on the map is the dislikes of Kenneth Bianchi "Hillside Strangler" and the infamous Ted Bundy. I really don't think the positive location of the real James Dean Porsche 550 Spyder is actually here. If they find the real car I'll eat my 914 seat cushion! chowtime.gif
EdwardBlume
From what I can tell from the Pelican site, the real car was parted out, some may have ended up on the Barris car, but the rest was likely scrapped.

The Barris car is the one that disappeared.
zambezi
Its the same car. Barris welded on new pieces of aluminum and reworked the body here and there over the span of its national display. It is all documented with lots of photos in Lee Raskins book. The original transaxle actually showed up on ebay about 10 years ago.
http://www.stanceandspeed.com/automotive-b...road-to-salinas
carr914
Barris is a Joke and he created the Hoax. He is a Circus Clown that did very little to any car, yet took credit for the Custom Scene and became famous. He is "Old " version of Richard Rollins!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 3 2015, 03:43 AM) *

Barris is a Joke and he created the Hoax. He is a Circus Clown that did very little to any car, yet took credit for the Custom Scene and became famous. He is "Old " version of Richard Rollins!

Batmobile? Same guy?
carr914
Same Guy! Look up the name Dean Jeffries and you will see that Barris takes credit for his work!
zambezi
Yup, Dean Jeffries put the 130 and 'little bastard' on the 550 and Barris still to this day claims to have put it on.
Maltese Falcon
Dean Jeffries (he passed last year) built this custom 356 decades ago.
He also had it parked in front of his shop up for sale. His business was customizing cars, mostly for the movies. I'd pass his shop all the time on Cahuenga Pass which is a short cut from Hollywood into Studio City. Dean was also a key player in the invention of metal-flake paint.
He worked in Barris' shop before going into his own business, probably where Barris takes credit for Dean's paint+body skills.
Dean's custom 356, after recent restoration.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Anyone driving by Dean's shop in the '80s could have pulled up and bought this (with 4 cam engine) for about $8,500.00. This lucky guy picked it up, restored it and took it to Amelia. The top rear roof line (not seen here) has a vent system grafted in from a '50s Mercedes gull wing. Dean (white shirt) was shown his old car by its new owner/restorer at the concourse event smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
George ?
On September 30, 2005, which was the 50th anniversary of James Dean's passing, I put together a small memorial at the former site of Competition Motors in Hollywood. That's where the shop was where James Dean drove off from in 1955, the corner of Vine St./ La Mirada ave. I also put in a call to Barris and invited him to the gathering. His "Agent" advised me that he gets $5,500.00/ hr. to attend any functions.
Needless to say we had about 20 fans and a dozen Porsches, including a 550 Beck "Little bastard" there... George Barris not in attendance biggrin.gif
Marty
carr914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 3 2015, 04:47 PM) *

Dean Jeffries (he passed last year) built this custom 356 decades ago.
He also had it parked in front of his shop up for sale. His business was customizing cars, mostly for the movies. I'd pass his shop all the time on Cahuenga Pass which is a short cut from Hollywood into Studio City. Dean was also a key player in the invention of metal-flake paint.
He worked in Barris' shop before going into his own business, probably where Barris takes credit for Dean's paint+body skills.

Yeah he takes credit for Deans's work. Just as Boyd Coddington took credit for the work that Chip Foose did while he worked for him and Richard Rollins does at A$$ Monkey!
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
How cool is that! This is what P car ownership is all about.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 1 2015, 06:11 PM) *

I don't know about you, but that would be hard to put behind a wall? Even though the motor, trans, hood, rear lid and doors were removed and scattered to who knows where.

Click to view attachment

The motor is currently in a Lotus in a guy's garage in Cali, the gearbox is hanging on a wall in Mass, the rest of the car who knows, but this latest story has been de-bunked already by the experts.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...f=1&t=40153

Unobtanium-inc
A friend who lives about 20 miles from the Volo Museum sent me this article from the local paper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.