Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailer hitch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914dave
Fabricated a hitch for towing and a bike rack. The plan is to eventually get a teardrop trailer. This is the last custom engineering job before paint. I have no more excuses. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Always thought this would be a good idea..
Vysoc
Nice work!

Very Stealth!

Vysoc flag.gif
Dion
Mad skills.... welder.gif beerchug.gif
Awesome Dave.
914forme
Nice, so is this just below the bumper? Garold Schaffer had one that was behind the license plate, very well done also. Oh see below
GaroldShaffer
Looks good. Add some place for safety chains to hook up to.

914dave
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 1 2015, 08:42 PM) *

Nice, so is this just below the bumper? Garold Schaffer had one that was behind the license plate, very well done also. Oh see below

I'll post pix of the slot in the bumper tomorrow. Using a hinged license plate bracket.
okieflyr
Looks nice Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing the car when your done smile.gif
Mueller
slick!

EdwardBlume
Bad ass! I used to drive to events with tires next to me. Much better idea.
Chris Pincetich
I need one of those! biggrin.gif
I have a new bike rack that I love and want to put it on the 914, but it needs that hitch receiver.
Nice work beerchug.gif
euro911
OK, where's the LIKE button? confused24.gif

thumb3d.gif
MMW
Am I missing what is actually holding it on? I see the receiver is welded to the plate with some gussets but how much weld holds the plate to the car? In the first pic I see two vertical welds at the rear of the plate to the car. Then I can see spots where maybe four plug welds from the top were made. Any other welding or is it not done yet?

Looking again, is it welded to the cross member at the front?
mgp4591
Very slick! I love the teardrop trailer designs I've seen and that's perfect for the drive/drop/drive the scenic stuff before loading up again and on to the next spot!
914dave
I'll post pics of it fully welded in later. Finishing the hinged license bracket and hit pin.
saigon71
Looks awesome Dave!

Good to see the tear drop dream coming to life. beerchug.gif
okieflyr
The right "Little guy" can be proportional.

But you'd better not be over 5'5" for this model..

Click to view attachment
914dave
Thanks guys. Don't know what model teardrop just yet. You can rent them from a local spot, so I'll try a few on for size. Here's the bike and flip up license plate. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
When you do tow a trailer where do you plan to hook the safety chains at?
914dave
Garold
I was going to put chain eyelets on the hitch insert. Now I'm reconsidering. Maybe I'll weld threaded inserts for a couple of 914 tow eyes. Thread those in when I need them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.