Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mueller
I took off the valve covers and rocker arms with nothing glaringly wrong. So the motor and transmission will be coming out.

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
confused24.gif what happened Mike? Bad noises? High temps?
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 16 2021, 06:32 AM) *

confused24.gif what happened Mike? Bad noises? High temps?

I was out driving and pushed the rpms too far I believe.

Strange noise (does not sound like a bad bearing) and it seemed to be running on only half the engine.

Curbandgutter
Mueller love how you can handle all of the electrical the way that you do. You're a wizard! Love the sound on that 6. It really does sound like a flat 6. How did it pull? Great job!
Chris H.
Just a thought... idea.gif

From Wikipedia:

"One unique feature of some J-family engine models is Honda's Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. Initially, the system turns off one bank of cylinders under light loads, turning the V6 into a straight-3. Some versions were able to turn off one bank of cylinders or one cylinder on opposing banks, allowing for three-cylinder use under light loads and four-cylinder use under medium loads. "

Maybe VCM system is stuck on.
Mueller
Chris, the later motors have that feature.

Motor is out, is that style of clutch plate a friendly type for street use?
Seems to be on or off for me.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
That metallic puck clutch is unforgiving. You should put an organic stock disc in there. I'm running a stock LUK clutch setup on my 1.8t and love it.
Chris914n6
Dump the 6 puck springless racing disc.

I don't know if a stock 914 disc will hold but you want that style. Kennedy might be the better place to go. They will ask if it's 9 inch (bus 228mm iirc) vs 215mm so measure first.

Mine is a Sport Kevlar from Clutchmasters good for 320hp or so but I planned ahead for a turbo... 20 years ago rolleyes.gif

Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 16 2021, 07:33 PM) *

That metallic puck clutch is unforgiving. You should put an organic stock disc in there. I'm running a stock LUK clutch setup on my 1.8t and love it.

agree.gif
76-914
I get the feeling you are dead horse.gif . You know what my recombination would be! happy11.gif Good luck Mike. beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 17 2021, 10:40 AM) *

I get the feeling you are dead horse.gif . You know what my recombination would be! happy11.gif Good luck Mike. beerchug.gif

Yea, I keep looking at the Subaru 5 speed transmission sitting next to my car thinking how easy it would be to just grab a Subaru 6 cylinder and go with that.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 17 2021, 01:45 PM) *

Yea, I keep looking at the Subaru 5 speed transmission sitting next to my car thinking how easy it would be to just grab a Subaru 6 cylinder and go with that.

Agree with everyone on the clutch, and can sure see why a Subaru flat six is appealing from a design and philosophical standpoint.

What's the power delta against the V6, Mike?
Coondog

While I commend you for tackling the road less taken, I have to agree with the Subaru route. We’re all pulling for
you to get your car on the road.
Mueller
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 17 2021, 02:15 PM) *

Agree with everyone on the clutch, and can sure see why a Subaru flat six is appealing from a design and philosophical standpoint.

What's the power delta against the V6, Mike?

From a quick search it looks like about 30hp to 50hp advantage for the Honda motor.

Another option is to part the car out, recoup a few grand and sink that money into our 242 smoke.gif screwy.gif
Chris H.
Eh you’ll get a lot less for it parting it out Mike. Any idea what’s wrong with the engine? Is it toast for sure?
RoadGlue
I'd be very inclined to just figure out what went wrong first, and then go from there.
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 17 2021, 02:57 PM) *

Eh you’ll get a lot less for it parting it out Mike. Any idea what’s wrong with the engine? Is it toast for sure?

No, I think it is something minor, I think the frustration of working on our 20 year old stove top and oven right now is making me grumpy.

I'm taking this as a sign to fix up the engine compartment and do some welding, there are some holes in the firewall that really need to be addressed properly.

dan10101
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 17 2021, 02:27 PM) *

No, I think it is something minor, I think the frustration of working on our 20 year old stove top and oven right now is making me grumpy.

I'm taking this as a sign to fix up the engine compartment and do some welding, there are some holes in the firewall that really need to be addressed properly.

I know the frustration. I have parts everywhere.
But hang in there, things will come around.
The good news for my build is that I get to put lower compression pistons in it to handle the boost better. There's always a bright side. Well, most always. blink.gif

Mueller
I was going through my tool box tonight and found my compression tester and leak down tester.....after I removed 1 cylinder head already..doh!

This head looks good, no signs of valves kissing the pistons.

The other head is going to be a challenge, 2 of the head bolts are damaged so I'll have to drill the heads off.

All 3 marks for TDC for the cams and crank line up perfectly so I highly doubt the belt jumped.

Click to view attachment
Jack Standz
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 18 2021, 12:10 PM) *

I was going through my tool box tonight and found my compression tester and leak down tester.....after I removed 1 cylinder head already..doh!

This head looks good, no signs of valves kissing the pistons.

The other head is going to be a challenge, 2 of the head bolts are damaged so I'll have to drill the heads off.

All 3 marks for TDC for the cams and crank line up perfectly so I highly doubt the belt jumped.

Click to view attachment

Sorry to hear you're having problems and it seemed to be running well, except for running too hot. But, you will for sure get it sorted out.

I like Centerforce Dual Friction clutches (use with a matching Centerforce pressure plate and balance with everything). On 914s and other mid-engined cars too. Not as harsh as the 6 puck ones, but can handle lots of torque.
CharlieTuna
I come back for a visit and find Mr Mueller is at it again - reengineering the 914 world. I have to go back and read everything again so I can understand what our "ENGINEERING GENIUS" has done! The world is much happier with Mike involved in his 914 project again. Great reason for getting involved again. Happy for you Mike and really like what you have done, are doing, and will be doing.

Steve Hurt
aka. CharlieTuna and Shoguneagle
RoadGlue
popcorn[1].gif
76-914
It's gone. Mike sold it to a member. sad.gif
Mueller
Yes, it has been sold to a fellow member. While I loved having the 914 again and it was an absolute blast with that Honda engine, I was having a slight mental breakdown every time I wanted to do something on the side of the garage where the 914 was parked.

Something had to go and I see more value in my mill and lathe than another car. If we ever moved into a bigger place or funds allowed me to have an offsite garage/shop then maybe 914 ownership will be for me again.

Pic below is the 914 being towed to its new home.

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Your always welcome to be my co pilot again Mike...... first.gif
Chris H.
Bummer Mike, but I get it. I have too many cars myself. Just don't go anywhere! We like you too much beerchug.gif .
Retroracer
Should the new owner lose interest in continuing / finishing the project - please reach out?

Am a big fan of the Engineering, novel engine choice and overall vibe of that vehicle.....

- Tony
Dion
It’s been an adventure Mike. Always enjoyable. Glad you made decisions that made you happier. Keep us posted on you next project. Don’t be stranger.

Cheers mate, Dion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.