Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 LeMons Racer: Rotary-Powered Mazda 787B Replica
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
gryphon68
Not sure rotaries have a great finishing percentage in LeMons racing, but an "A" for effort!

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-insane-por...lica-1734173519
stownsen914
Wow - that took a while to build!

Hmmm ... actually looks slightly like my car (sig at left)

Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 3 2015, 03:30 AM) *

Wow - that took a while to build!

Hmmm ... actually looks slightly like my car (sig at left)

thought that too...
stimpyvan
Some of you guys actually helped finance the building of the car by buying parts when we parted it out. So, thanks for that!

The build took us about 18 months and 2,500 hours labor.

Van
carr914
The Link does not work for me
Cracker
Didn't quite work for me either...I did get this one picture to come up though. I'd be interested in seeing more - "builder of car" - please post. Thanks!

Tony

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 4 2015, 05:56 AM) *

The Link does not work for me

Click to view attachment
stimpyvan
I will try to add some pictures of the build when I get a chance. Just a little bit about the car:
- When we bought it, it had been sitting for at least 5 years (likely 10). The hell hole had been (badly) patched and previous repairs to the longs were rusting.
- The car seems to have a 911 steering rack (since the actual parts don't match any 914 parts list drawings)
- We relocated the pedal cluster about 3" closer to the centerline of the car (the distance we could move it was limited by the fuel tank bulge) and moved the steering column to the center of the car
- The gear shift lever is now on driver's left utilizing a custom shift linkage (which will probably be replaced with a cable shift setup this winter because the current setup is unreliable)
- The car had BMW calipers on the front when we bought it. Those were moved to the back and VW Fox calipers were installed on the front
- Cooling is provided by a Dodge Caravan radiator in front and the stock Mazda oil cooler in the back (the cooling system also contains components from Ford & Chevy trucks)

Until I have a chance to include photos, this page has a few of the build and then motor removal after our first race: http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=7774
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.