Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hurricane Joquin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
I know we have a lot of members up and down the East Coast, looks like lots of heavy rain from the Carolina's to Boston...

Anybody worried about flooding or power outages this weekend?

Hope everybody is well and safe till the storm passes!
mepstein
A lot of rain here but weather chick says the worst of it is headed out to sea.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 2 2015, 10:21 AM) *

A lot of rain here but weather chick says the worst of it is headed out to sea.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
thieuster
Dutch approach: our defense against heavy winter storms. Building seawalls/levees!

Large parts of The Netherlands are situated below sea level, some areas are as low as 30 ft below sea level. So we spend a lot of time and money to be sure we're safe.

Every time I visit the US east coast I'm amazed by the fact that I can't see any evidence of seawalls, levees etc. despite the fact that hurricanes are not uncommon, so to speak.

Even with the sea walls, things can go pear shaped. But that's mostly from flooded rivers during Spring when the snow on mountains in Switzerland and Germany thaws. But mostly, things can be channeled. Flood insurance is pretty low: annual premium is one thousandth of the value of your belongings.

This is a pic of the mostwestern part of The Netherlands: Westkapelle. (The Sherman tank on top of the seawall is another story)

IPB Image

Without protection, 1/3 of the country will get it's feet wet. (I live 50 ft above sea level, btw)

IPB Image

Menno
mepstein
QUOTE(thieuster @ Oct 2 2015, 01:40 PM) *

Dutch approach: our defense against heavy winter storms. Building seawalls/levees!

Large parts of The Netherlands are situated below sea level, some areas are as low as 30 ft below sea level. So we spend a lot of time and money to be sure we're safe.

Every time I visit the US east coast I'm amazed by the fact that I can't see any evidence of seawalls, levees etc. despite the fact that hurricanes are not uncommon, so to speak.

Sometimes, things go pear shaped. But that's mostly from flooded rivers during Spring when the snow on mountains in Switzerland and Germany thaws. But mostly, things can be channeled. Flood insurance is pretty low: annual premium is one thousandth of the value of your belongings.

http://www.refdag.nl/polopoly_fs/de_zeedij.../4045810896.jpg

Without protection, 1/3 of the country will get it's feet wet. (I live 50 ft above sea level, btw)

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/1katowicepo...g?cb=1298300221

Menno

Look up hurricane Katrina. Pear shaped is an understatement. We live high on hill. Let it rain.
era vulgaris

That's because hurricanes are our supernatural punishment and we welcome being absolved of our sins.

So we spend a lot of time and money to be sure we're safe.

lol-2.gif Clearly you've never lived in the US.
FourBlades

Its a beautiful day here on Florida's east coast.

Just got back from taking my dogs to the beach.

The waves are head high but should get way bigger when the storm clears the Bahamas.

John
thieuster
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Oct 2 2015, 09:35 PM) *

That's because hurricanes are our supernatural punishment and we welcome being absolved of our sins.

So we spend a lot of time and money to be sure we're safe.

lol-2.gif Clearly you've never lived in the US.

Yeah we had our fair share of that Katrina-like thing back in the last century. Since then, billions are spent and and still being spend on coastal defense. Dutch engineers have come a long way since this traumatic flooding in Holland.

Nowadays, coastal defense' know how is a Dutch export product (e.g. Dubai's Islands, New York - Verrazzano Narrows and Seabrook Floodgate Complex in New Orleans).

Menno

draganc
Just drove down from Boston to NJ. Yes, a lot of rain but it's easing off right now. Fcst says it will stop raining around midnight.
Growing up in Europe, I still can't get used to the power land-lines.

Sorry, but after Sandy (6 Days w/o power) I can't stand unions anymore. Fu$&ers!
billh1963
Calling for 8+" tomorrow where I am....(Columbia area)
EdwardBlume
Dutchyland looks lovely!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(draganc @ Oct 2 2015, 02:46 PM) *

Just drove down from Boston to NJ. Yes, a lot of rain but it's easing off right now. Fcst says it will stop raining around midnight.

Sorry, but after Sandy (6 Days w/o power) I can't stand unions anymore. Fu$&ers!

Unions can be powerful but I have rarely seen a hurricane caused by one. av-943.gif
TargaToy
So far just a rainy, blustery day here on the peninsula. Schools were closed in this area. Just precautionary.
AvalonFal
I am on a barrier island on the extreme southern coast of NJ. Where I am, the island is less than 1/2 mile wide. I'm 1 1/2 blocks to the Atlantic Ocean and 1/2 block to the intra-coastal waterway. About 3" of rain and a lot of gusty wind (50mph+), so far. Moderate street flooding during high tide, but the biggest problem is the beach is getting pounded pretty good and is being carried out to sea!
turk22
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Oct 2 2015, 08:10 PM) *

I am on a barrier island on the extreme southern coast of NJ. Where I am, the island is less than 1/2 mile wide. I'm 1 1/2 blocks to the Atlantic Ocean and 1/2 block to the intra-coastal waterway. About 3" of rain and a lot of gusty wind (50mph+), so far. Moderate street flooding during high tide, but the biggest problem is the beach is getting pounded pretty good and is being carried out to sea!

Yea I heard that beach erosion was going to be a big issue, with the storm offshore and whipping up the waves...
draganc
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 2 2015, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Oct 2 2015, 02:46 PM) *

Unions can be powerful but I have rarely seen a hurricane caused by one. av-943.gif

Not yet, but I'm sure they are working on it.

After sandy, there have been 100s of trucks with line-man waiting in DE, waiting for permission from the NJ union to work in NJ.

The first couple of days the NJ union refused the permission, while millions didn't have power.
Just to protect their jobs.

They are still refusing to install in ground lines. I guess those idiots thinks it's a 2 months job and they will not have a job afterwards.

Anyways, rain is easing off but the wind picked up in Princeton.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 2 2015, 06:56 PM) *

Calling for 8+" tomorrow where I am....(Columbia area)

Combination of things happening at the same time.
We are already saturated, very high tideas7, more rain coming . That hurricane will not directly hit us but the way the fronts are now moisture is being sucked north across the south east, could get over a foot. With out that, in Charleston SC yesterday my daughter walked thru 2 foot deep water at one intersection walk to school (College of Charleston) they are at or below sea level, due to wide spread low level flooding school was cancelled today, it was worse today than yesterday. That is in the area of the oldest part of town, so they kind of expect it will happen a couple times a year. It will be bad if we get that heavy rain.
Now here in Bluffton , Beaufort not as bad except the lowest areas. My homes on a tidal creek about 20 ft above sea level. We could get 2 ft of rain and it won't flood the house, but if we had even just a category 1-2 storm it would be a 10-15ft rise in the tide, that would be trouble,80% of the county would be under water. Like Sandy a few years ago hitting N.J. in that case all my cars would be under water. But of course if that were the forecast we would be tacking all that inland to higher ground. . So at this time no worries here.
somd914
Had perhaps 2" of rain yesterday, below the forecast, official NWS forecast called for 1"-2" last night and another 1" today, nothing but drizzle as forecasted by non-government forecasters - politics and weather - call for the absolute worse case and get everyone to run for the hills. OK, enough of my rant...

We've had high winds for a week and half or so from NE to SE pushing water to the Western Chesapeake Bay shores, thus tides have been above usual for over a week. Couple that with rain run off and we've had high tides 2.5 ft above normal, thus some minor coastal flooding around us. High tide at 7:00 AM was about 6"-8" lower than yesterday evening, so looks like the worst is over. Water has spilled 20-30 ft into our backyard, another 100 ft of run and 5 ft of rise to get to the house foundation, so no worries for us.

Glad Joaquin missed us, but can't believe she has sat over the Bahamas for days! What a pounding. On an ironic note, my brother has spent almost 30 years in NE Florida, I've spent almost as long in Southern Maryland - I've been through more hurricanes and tropical storms than he has confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

draganc
I'm glad it didn't hit you guys badly.
We had about 3-4" in central NJ.
Stay dry buddy!
somd914
The cars will stay dry in the garage this weekend, so no weekend fun here. But given the mid-Atlantic could have been facing Joaquin, I'm not going to complain - sounds like an excuse to do some maintenance and detailing...
colingreene
IPB Image
This year the East and West coast had there own issues. The only difference is the West coast had fires where as everything hot burt. The East coast will generate some additional water logged vehicle. Buyer beware...
DRPHIL914
Charleston SC has had 6-8" of rain so far and forecast is or 1-2" per hour into tomorrow so another 12 " or more possible! The W.C. had a bunch of video .
barefoot
Sunday AM, woke up to see this just down our street (slightly lower than our yard) in Charleston SC area. We're about 15 miles inland from coast. Most of Charleston city shut down from mid day Sat.
More rain expected tonight/ Mon.

Click to view attachment
somd914
Sorry to see the Carolinas are being inundated. For Maryland we ended up with several inches less rain than predicted which resulted in just minor coastal flooding unlike the photo above.

Hope it doesn't get worse for you guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.