Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 79 VW Bug fuel injection(NPC)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BIGKAT_83
I've got a 25k mile 1979 VW Bug convertible. It starts up fine and runs for just a couple of seconds and then quits.
It does not matter if its hot or cold.
Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks in advance Bob
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 2 2015, 11:54 AM) *

I've got a 25k mile 1979 VW Bug convertible. It starts up fine and runs for just a couple of seconds and then quits.
It does not matter if its hot or cold.
Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks in advance Bob

Vacuum leaks.

Your cold start injector is firing a squirt to start and the MFI doesn't have enough vacuum to open the injectors.

idea.gif
Tom
Put a fuel pressure gage on it and monitor. I bet the fuel pump run after start circuit is not working properly. I believe the old VW's had something close to L-jet injection, so some of the troubleshooting methods would be the same.
Tom
hcdmueller
Definitely L-jet. I retrofitted the same setup onto a Euro Baywindow bus I used to have. Your double relay might be bad or the wiring to the air flow sensor. You can check the fuel pump by pushing the air flow flap on the intake. If the key is on the pump should run. The pump only runs on the double relay while starting. Obviously check for vacuum leaks. The entire alternator stand is part of the intake. You may have some leaks there if the rubber parts of your intake are good.
Mark Henry
All of the above, plus Bug FI is famous for cooking the wire harness, it's why so many backyard wrenches would rip off the FI and stick a carb on. Check the condition of the wires and connectors.
Also in your hunt replace the injector seals, while the injector is out take a pin and press on the pintle, you should hear/feel a slight click.
Jake Raby
Could be a dozen things. Verify fuel pressure, and pull an injector to check the spray pattern for starters.

Hook up with the Athens VW Club guys, they are awesome, and have tech days all the time. Sometimes they hang out at my garage.
aircooledtechguy
I've seen more than just a couple of these where one of the hoses coming off the large rubber elbow between the MAF and the TB popped loose. It will do the very thing you describe.
rgalla9146
The big hose on top is not just a connector to the air filter.
It must be clamped and vacuum leak proof from flapper box to throttle and beyond.
rgalla9146
The big hose on top is not just a connector to the air filter.
It must be clamped and vacuum leak proof from flapper box to throttle and beyond.
Jake Raby
That hose will bite you!
JeffBowlsby
Go through the test protocol, check every thing:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man12.pdf

BIGKAT_83
Thanks everyone got a chance to work on it today. You guys nailed it a vacuum leak. first.gif

Bob
Chris H.
So you bought a Beetle or what biggrin.gif ???
Jeffs9146
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I had the same problem on my 3.0L FI six when I first fired it up so it just made sense! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.