Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight bulb replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
The headlights on my new-to-me 914 are really dim. Anybody have a replacement brand they are crazy about?
Dion
Hi, not knowing what lights you are running,
I'd start with a check on the alternator and
all contacts & relays. As well as check the belt tension.
I used to run Sylvania sealed beams till I upgraded to the
H4 setup from Hella. My sealed beams always seemed dim compared
to more modern cars. Good luck.
rmdinmd
depends on how much you want to spend. I bought the nighthawk led headlights using a coupon from amazon to bring price down to $200 a piece. They are very bright. shades.gif someone else posted a website that offers other kinds for much less but don't know how they compare.
'73-914kid
Clean the grounds in the front trunk next to the headlight motors. Remove, wire brush, the replace. This will make some improvement, but most likely not enough to bring them up to snuff IMO.

A good H4, with a good 55/60W H4 bulb should make things livable.

cpavlenko
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 3 2015, 02:02 PM) *

Clean the grounds in the front trunk next to the headlight motors. Remove, wire brush, the replace. This will make some improvement, but most likely not enough to bring them up to snuff IMO.

A good H4, with a good 55/60W H4 bulb should make things livable.

?, can u use the same relays for the H4.
'73-914kid
You can with the smaller wattage bulbs. I would not recommend running the 80/100W bulbs with the stock headlight switch. The only way to run those is to wire in an upgraded relay that draws power directly from the battery.
cpavlenko
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 3 2015, 03:06 PM) *

You can with the smaller wattage bulbs. I would not recommend running the 80/100W bulbs with the stock headlight switch. The only way to run those is to wire in an upgraded relay that draws power directly from the battery.

Thanks for the info. smile.gif
'73-914kid
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Oct 3 2015, 11:57 AM) *

The headlights on my new-to-me 914 are really dim. Anybody have a replacement brand they are crazy about?

This is one of the best bang for the buck deals on the internet for good headlights:
E-Code Hella H4 housings

You will also need bulbs with these however. BusDepot sells bulbs, but my favorite bulbs are Osram Bilux H4's. They are actually made in Germany, as opposed to everything else that is made in China.
Dtjaden
I've also installed the GE Nighthawk LED headlights. Other than cost (at around $180 each) they are a double win. They are much brighter and they use significantly less power.
Sandy Teener
Another vote for ge nighthawks, plug and play, less draw, can see upcoming corners at night now. Only downside, dash dial lights seem dimmer cause the headlights are so bright, so replaced with leds too.
Harpo
agree.gif
Get the night hawks
cpavlenko
Okay, so what headlamp was on stock 71 914. Trying to learn more about the different types of headlamp. At this time, mine have a halogen name right in the middle of the headl amp, made by GE and are sealed beam. So my ? is, are these ready for 60/55 H4 bulb, or do I need the H4 headlamp with these H4 bulb. blink.gif
Dion
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Oct 4 2015, 05:03 PM) *

Okay, so what headlamp was on stock 71 914. Trying to learn more about the different types of headlamp. At this time, mine have a halogen name right in the middle of the headl amp, made by GE and are sealed beam. So my ? is, are these ready for 60/55 H4 bulb, or do I need the H4 headlamp with these H4 bulb. blink.gif

If you are staying within OEM style, you will need to purchase the
Hella style glass headlamp. The H4 bulb is then replaceable within that headlamp.
The cars were made to accept this from factory. It would only be the
higher wattage bulb (80/100) that you would need to
upgrade the relay system.
I purchased my set from Sierra Madre when they ran a special.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Dion @ Oct 4 2015, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Oct 4 2015, 05:03 PM) *

If you are staying within OEM style, you will need to purchase the
Hella style glass headlamp. The H4 bulb is then replaceable within that headlamp.
The cars were made to accept this from factory. It would only be the
higher wattage bulb (80/100) that you would need to
upgrade the relay system.
I purchased my set from Sierra Madre when they ran a special.

Got it, thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.