Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: '04 New Beetle GLS Convertible Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Buying an '04 NB Convertible for my daughter. It is a GLS with 6-speed tiptronic. Does anyone know what the "model" designation is? Something like 09A, 09G, 01M, etc.
Trying to figure out what models and year range this transmission was available since I need to replace it.

Thanks!

driving.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 3 2015, 04:39 PM) *

Buying an '04 NB Convertible for my daughter. It is a GLS with 6-speed tiptronic. Does anyone know what the "model" designation is? Something like 09A, 09G, 01M, etc.
Trying to figure out what models and year range this transmission was available since I need to replace it.

Thanks!

driving.gif

Go to this site, pay $35 for 24 hour access, enter the VIN and download every document VW ever published on your make and model.
https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 3 2015, 10:05 PM) *
Go to this site, pay $35 for 24 hour access, enter the VIN and download every document VW ever published on your make and model.
https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do

Interesting idea.gif
And since I have 3 VWs in the driveway plus my daughter has a VW, that $35 could buy a lot of info. Thanks for the link.

driving.gif
r_towle
From my research the transmission is short lived and will need to be replaced often.

Those automatics just die, no warning.
poorsche914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 3 2015, 11:55 PM) *
From my research the transmission is short lived and will need to be replaced often.

Those automatics just die, no warning.

That's what I am finding also. dry.gif
Wondering if a manual swap would be feasible confused24.gif

driving.gif
a914622
Yes manual swaps are straight forward. I just got everything to do my 01 tdi golf. Funny cuz I can see a lot of boxster parts in the vw.
jcd914
Per ALLDATA the 04 NB has an 09G transmission.

Jim

poorsche914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 5 2015, 01:20 AM) *
Per ALLDATA the 04 NB has an 09G transmission.
Jim

Thank you. That's what I figured.

Thought the Valve Body may need to be replaced (very common) but that was done under warranty and, more recently, a local shop replaced it but the issue did not change so they swapped the original back in.

I had the car delivered and had a chance to troubleshoot a bit more. It is in limp mode. I am going to get a VAG-COM to see what codes are being thrown. Figure it is a good investment with 4 VWs in the family blink.gif

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.