Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spotted another one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sb914
Seen this very clean orig 6 at pca meet in seal beach . Anyone here ?Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 4 2015, 09:55 AM) *

Seen this very clean orig 6 at pca meet in seal beach . Anyone here ?

Did you get the VIN ?
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 4 2015, 11:12 AM) *

Did you get the VIN ?

Before you do that, don't you think it would be great to ask permission for the vin vs just taking it?
sb914

Did you get the VIN ?

I did hide.gif it starts with 914. Do some vins start with 914 ? I also seen this one. very "interesting" had Nissan moter
Click to view attachment
old dog
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 4 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Did you get the VIN ?

Before you do that, don't you think it would be great to ask permission for the vin vs just taking it?

That's actually a good question... VIN are by law, visible to all , including the public at large. It's one way to stop trafficking stolen vehicles. I believe this started in 80 or81 , so can we cover ours ?
QUOTE(old dog @ Oct 4 2015, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Oct 4 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Did you get the VIN ?

That's actually a good question... VIN are by law, visible to all , including the public at large. It's one way to stop trafficking stolen vehicles. I believe this started in 80 or81 , so can we cover ours ?

I might be odd, but info on my car like the vin is confidential info for me. The license plate is another thing. Ive hear that some folks need a vin to order parts at the dealership. ..yes I cover mine.
jim_hoyland
VINs are public info.
billh1963
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 4 2015, 05:10 PM) *

I might be odd, but info on my car like the vin is confidential info for me. The license plate is another thing. Ive hear that some folks need a vin to order parts at the dealership. ..yes I cover mine.

Never heard of anyone covering their VIN. With million dollar cars driving around with exposed VIN's I'm not sure what the concern would be?
Bob L.
Original 6's VIN's started with 914... And the badging on the rear is consistent with that. Nice!
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 4 2015, 03:28 PM) *

VINs are public info.

Its public if its exposed. On the other hand, why not post your SS#
ablesnead
talk'in about silly !
Larmo63
Didn't European ROW cars not have the VIN tag?
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 4 2015, 07:02 PM) *

I believe you're correct on the Euro cars.
My position is, ask vs simply lifting the info.
DBCooper
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 4 2015, 05:45 PM) *

Its public if its exposed. On the other hand, why not post your SS#

Well, first because a VIN isn't a social security number, it doesn't unlock personal information about... anything. It's no more "private" than your license plate number. If I were you I'd be a lot more worried about facial recognition in airport, bank, and who knows what other security camera images, combined with tracking your movements from your cell phone signal. There are LOTS better reasons for paranoia than the VIN's on old cars.

cary
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 4 2015, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 4 2015, 07:02 PM) *

I believe you're correct on the Euro cars.
My position is, ask vs simply lifting the info.

The VIN on my Carrera 3.0 is on the inside on the A pillar.
Tom_T
US-DOT requires a visible VIN to be posted on all US cars - RoW not in US, but if imported, that windshield tag is one of the added items DOT requires, so most makers put them on all cars nowadays & since the 70's.

VINs started in the 1960s IIRC, but not sure when.

Any city cop or CHP, Trooper, county mountie, etc. can make you uncover the VIN tag if they see it covered, according to all the law enforcement folks I know.

Just like CA requires front plate, but many don't have it on & get away without one - but they'll still get ticketed if it's noticed by a cop who wants to write them up for it!

So same with covered up VINs - must be visible on the DS windshield A-pillar.

From the black -6 pers. plate - IIRC he's been at our June OC PCA Concours at Dana Point in display in past years. I think he's in Seal, Sunset or Huntington Beach somewhere IIRC.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Elliot Cannon
Modifying the visible VIN plate in California is a big NO NO. It's visible for a reason. There was a time when the registration form had to be visible in California. You could get a clear plastic holder and mount it to the steering column or the sun visor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.