Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polish, Re-anodize, or what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey
The trim pieces that go on the back of my roof - you know the expensive ones - have surface scratches on them. The scratches aren't deep enough to catch a fingernail, but they are just bad enough to make the piece look like hell next to my new paint job. What can be done to refurb these pieces? If I polish these with a buffing wheel and rouge will the anodization be taken off? Can these be re-anodized without breaking the bank? Anybody know a place in the San Francisco area that does anodization?

While I'm at it, the trim pieces that go around the windshield look a little bent. Are these available new?

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
McMark
Window trim is available new and not TOO expensive. Grassroots Motorsports had an article on polishing trim that featured the 914 probably two years ago. But I lost mine. Anyone got back issues?
415PB
Did mine myself. Powdercoated in Satin black.

415PB
bb
415PB
last one
mikey
Did mine myself. Powdercoated in Satin black.

Those are the ones I'm talking about. They look great in black, but I'm going for the stock look. Maybe polishing them and powder coating them silver, or maybe clear will work. I'll check with my powder coater.

Mark, did you mean the windshield trim is available new? If so, where from?

McMark
Pelican can get it. I'm sure others can too.
Series9
I got new windshield trim from PP. It was about $200 total.

On the rollbar trim, I sanded off the anodizing and then polished them with aluminum polish. They'll take a little upkeep, but they look nice.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 6 2005, 07:41 PM)

On the rollbar trim, I sanded off the anodizing and then polished them with aluminum polish. They'll take a little upkeep, but they look nice.

Now that's an idea idea.gif My roll bar trim looks like barf.gif What grit paper did you use? What polish do you use?
Series9
Dry sand with 220 until the anodizing is all off. Then wet sand with:

1000 and

Then polish with Mother's aluminum polish. It takes a long time to get the sanding finished, but the results are worth the effort.
McMark
I wonder if I could DA sand them... idea.gif
mikey
Sanding with a DA might be a problem. The pieces are kind of concave. I think a buffing wheel with some fine abrasive compound would work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.