Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cam sizing w/ fuel infection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
just talked to a local 914 guru and when i told him my new engine had a scat cam- of unknown size- that if it was too big, more than very mild, the car would not run well and would be unpredictable due to the oem fuel injections inability to read or keep up correctly. Is this true?
Joe Bob
Since it's an ancient FI system that doesn't REALLY like lumpy cams.....probably...but it will give you the excuse to buy a programable contoller.... blink.gif
xsboost90
well supposedly the engine was running great and just rebuilt when i bought it, the guy - who i know- replaced it w/ a big 2.? 200hp four that is evil! I was just wondering if there was any truth to the not running correct, since i could put a stock cam in if there was too much of a problem. Does scat make a mild cam?
Dave_Darling
I don't know Scat's cams. I do know that the common "fuel injection" cams are somewhat marginal with our D-jetronic FI. The Web #73 grind, for instance, can be great for a D-jet car if you're willing to put the dyno time in and tweak everything, but depending on a whole raft of details it may never run "right" for you. I believe that FAT's old "HP440" cam is similar, but don't quote me on that.

A "3/4 race" type cam will work very poorly indeed with the stock FI. Idle in particular will probably be an "iffy" thing, as the manifold will see significantly less vacuum at idle than with the stock cam.

Ray Greenwood, over on the Shoptalk Forums, seems to believe that the exact valve opening points are crucial to making D-jet work. I'm not sold on that; I am pretty skeptical of a number of his ideas. Then again, he was making over 100 HP out of a 1.7 with a Web 73, so....

--DD
Type 4
I have a 330-1 That HPH had ground. $150 with lifters.
http://www.elgincams.com/c-por3.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.