Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Magnesium Mahle Gasburner Wheels - 5 of them. Clean
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
greggearhead
Real Magnesium Mahle Gas Burner rims. 15 x 5.5, dated 1970 (the ones I can read, anyway - can check dirty ones for someone that's concerned). These are rare and aren't always clean - the magnesium is known to corrode quickly and easily, just like VW BRM wheels.

Five of them so you can have a matching spare. One wheel was started to be stripped, so you can see the blue primer the factory used. One wheel had a crack and was welded and repaired.

$3500

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
greggearhead
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
greggearhead
Consider partial trades of other period wheels.
greggearhead
Still available.
greggearhead
Bump
greggearhead
Still available.
greggearhead
Still have them - I'm not giving them away for $2000 or something like that, I'll hang onto them at that price.

Thanks
greggearhead
So, to clarify - I am asking $3800. If you offer me $2000, I will say no and keep them. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Not trying to be snippy, just worth more to keep these, as they are not going down in value, in my opinion.

Cairo94507
These wheels have been for sale for quite some time without selling. I believe your price is a bit on the high side.

I would love a full set (5) of the Gas-burners for my original Six. But at present we are moving into our final phase of restoration where it is all going to begin to come together. So spending this type of cash on wheels which will have to be refinished is out of the question.

I currently have a full matching set (5) of deep sixes at Weidman wheels. Should be done in January to ship to Scotty to meet up with my car.

BTTT and best wishes on the sale.
greggearhead
Thanks for the input. I agree, I am on the high side, and know it. But I think the offers I've gotten of $2k and less are on the low side. Maybe it's a product of my high starting price, but I don't need to sell them, and won't if it isn't a price I'm happy with. I'm willing to move on price, but have only had a few people make serious inquiries so far. I'll wait.
greggearhead
Still available.
thelogo
beer3.gif

I take it your not the type of guy who posts a price check
Thread here ever smash.gif

But in all honesty the car that these wheels belong to would be worth like 90k bucks today right . In good condition

But .... stirthepot.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(greggearhead @ Dec 26 2015, 01:11 PM) *

So, to clarify - I am asking $3800. If you offer me $2000, I will say no and keep them. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Not trying to be snippy, just worth more to keep these, as they are not going down in value, in my opinion.

Sorry Greg, looks like you are keeping these at your price. Market is $400-$500 a wheel in need of refinish like yours. Maybe $3,500 (set of 5) in pristine condition. I know of a couple of sets that sold within the last year for $400 each in your condition, yes there are others for sale in your price range but they are not selling either. Just my .02
greggearhead
I actually do price checks - but I don't normally make price check threads - if you search on different sites and forums, you can get a pretty good idea without having to bother everyone else for input.

I know I am on the high side, but I am not out of reason on the price, and these are something that can just sit around without taking up much room. The value of the 914-6 and the 911s that came with these wheels is very high, as you indicate. The supply of good, vintage magnesium wheels is not growing.

Thanks for the free bump.
burton73
Love these super light wheels, I had a set on my 914-6 back in 1979 but I want to point out something. I refinished my wheels and there was no blue under the silver paint from the factory.

This has nothing to do with the value of the wheel but I want to point that out.
Maybe some one can verify the finish. My wheels where just a flavor of silver over the mag metal. I polished one but it oxidizes back fast. Much faster that aluminum dulls.

Bob B
greggearhead
I thought that one was painted blue or something prior, but Jim Breazale over on early 911S, who owns EASY and is a wealth of Porsche knowledge said this:

"It wasn't painted blue. Blue is the color of the primer used under the silver paint. The top coat has just worn exposing the blue primer.

Regards

Jim"
toolguy
A couple of items. . logically speaking.
Yes, the original factory finish wheels had a blue tinged primer as part of the base coats.

2nd, as Mike accurately pointed out, is the perspective of a potential buyer on a reasonable price range "in today's sales climate" for rims in the unrestored condition as yours are.

3rd, Greg is correct. . Mahle gasburners in all likely hood will go on the top condition 914-6 and early 911 cars, which is a very limited audience of potential buyers.

4th. A damaged Magnesium rim has significantly less value and less realistically safe usability. Especially if the repair wasn't done by a person certified in Mag welding. It would make a good spare if the weld holds air. . Porosity is an issue as well as structural integrity.

5th. . Cost to refinish. . the professional refinishing places I checked estimated the cost around $300 a rim. . do it yourself and it takes days. . to strip all the nooks and crannies, prime with correct Mag chromate and paint, so that is another $1500 to $2000 investment needed to make these rims usable to the high quality car buyer. . These costs added to the initial investment is what will determine saleability. PS-Those supplies came to around $300 when I did mine..

Lastly, Magnesium wheels apparently have a safe usable life span depending on their previous use. Stress cracks seem to be common for older, heavily used rims.

Despite what can be found on the web, powder painting Magnesium rims is a bad idea. Once that is done, they can't be refinished again in the future. Powder paint is removed by either chemical striping or burning, baking off at very high temps which is detrimental to magnesium. My powder painter company refuses to do Mag wheels due to liability issues.

Probably more than just my 2 cents, but I feel is logical and realsitic thinking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.