Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buy a rebuilt one or rebuild myself?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stags14
What would the experts recommend? What are the pros and cons of each?
SpecialK
What do you have more of, mechanical ability and tools......or money? If you're confident with your engine rebuilding skills, very meticulous, and pay close attention to details....go for it. Otherwise, have an expert do it for you so you don't spend all kinds of money on parts and machine shop services, just to have it come apart on you in a couple of hundred miles.....or even start up for that matter. headbang.gif

Jake Raby (Aircooled.net) has an excellent video on assembling Type IV engines, I highly recommend it if you're seriously considering taking on the task yourself.

Just MHO wink.gif
ArtechnikA
4 - you can do it, but do not be bashful about asking questions and sending parts out to a TRUSTED Type-IV house for machine work. what you will be trading off is the TIME it takes to learn the stuff the guys who have done it already know.

6 - if you have to ask, you're not ready. (but you're more ready than than the guy who just says "how hard could it be?" and rips right in ...)

8 - i donno, but enough guys build these in their garages that it can't be that difficult, and parts are plentiful. plus they're very forgiving - you'll miss 10HP in a stock 4, but you could probably be 10HP down in a 305 and never know...
stags14
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 6 2005, 11:58 PM)
What do you have more of, mechanical ability and tools......or money? If you're confident with your engine rebuilding skills, very meticulous, and pay close attention to details....go for it. Otherwise, have an expert do it for you so you don't spend all kinds of money on parts and machine shop services, just to have it come apart on you in a couple of hundred miles.....or even start up for that matter. headbang.gif

Jake Raby (Aircooled.net) has an excellent video on assembling Type IV engines, I highly recommend it if you're seriously considering taking on the task yourself.

Just MHO wink.gif

I am not the most mechanical guy in the world, but I do have someone that is going to help me out that is a very mechanical person.

Type 4
Have you ever rebuilt an engine?

Get Tom Wilsons book John Muirs Book The Haynes and Clymer Manuals.
read them.

If you feel like you want to do it go for it.
If you run into an area and have a question you can post it here . You can also call me and I will help you.
type47
roll up the sleeves and dig in yourself. it's fun! here's where i am with mine....
stags14
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 7 2005, 09:16 AM)
Have you ever rebuilt an engine?

Get Tom Wilsons book John Muirs Book The Haynes and Clymer Manuals.
read them.

If you feel like you want to do it go for it.
If you run into an area and have a question you can post it here . You can also call me and I will help you.

Sent you a PM with a few questions.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.