Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway bar question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all..
I was under my car today, 74 2.0 liter, and noticed that my factory front sway bar is not centered. By that I mean that it sticks out of the body on the right side by a good 1.5 inches more than the drivers side. This puts the bracket that the bar bolts to very close to the strut. I mean really close. Is this a problem? And if so, how could I fix this? I loosened the links but the bar will not move.
Thoughts?
Mike
rjames
QUOTE(MikeM @ Oct 6 2015, 01:44 PM) *

Hi all..
I was under my car today, 74 2.0 liter, and noticed that my factory front sway bar is not centered. By that I mean that it sticks out of the body on the right side by a good 1.5 inches more than the drivers side. This puts the bracket that the bar bolts to very close to the strut. I mean really close. Is this a problem? And if so, how could I fix this? I loosened the links but the bar will not move.
Thoughts?
Mike

Grab a hammer and a block of wood and tap the end of the bar it until it's where you want it. Check it periodically to ensure it's not up against the strut.
MikeM
Tried that. Didn't move at all!! What if I was to loosen the 3 bolts on the plate where the bar goes through?
mepstein
QUOTE(MikeM @ Oct 6 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Tried that. Didn't move at all!! What if I was to loosen the 3 bolts on the plate where the bar goes through?

No, that won't do it. Hit the bushings on each side with some penetrating lube on each side of the bushing and then tap the ends.
MikeM
OK thanks. I'll give that a try.
Mike
Matt Romanowski
You can then put a piece of pipe, rubber, hose clamp, etc on each side to keep it basically centered.
ThePaintedMan
These work really well too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-clamps/=z99itu
MikeM
Thanks George. Looks like a good idea. Now, where to find those???
Mike
ThePaintedMan
You order them from that link - McMaster has all kinds of fun goodies if you're into fabrication, etc. Go with the two-piece clamp on collar. Check the OD of your swaybar first before ordering.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.