Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any experience with KBS fuel tank sealer kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fasthonda
Has anyone restored a rusty gas tank using the KBS restore and sealer kit?

Looking for any advice or opinions on restoring the inside of the gas tank with surface rust.

Should I just treat the rust with Phosphoric acid or another type of chemical and then just leave it or coat the inside? The odd shape of the tank seems like it will be difficult to coat.

I thought removing the rust would be done best with a product like Evapo-rust but the problem is the shape of the tank will require at least 10 gallons of product to get all surfaces submerged for extended time.

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

matthepcat
I just used the KBS to restore my tank about a month ago.

I used the kit as directed in the instructions, but started with electrolysis first.

Sample: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolyt...orcycle-Gas-Ta/

Turned out great, but the key is following the steps closely and DO NOT RUSH. Make sure the tank is absolutely bone dry between each step

This is what it looks like after the KBS chemical processes ( before coating )
IPB Image

This is what it looks like after the coat ( its still wet in this picture)

IPB Image

QUOTE(fasthonda @ Oct 6 2015, 02:51 PM) *

Has anyone restored a rusty gas tank using the KBS restore and sealer kit?

Looking for any advice or opinions on restoring the inside of the gas tank with surface rust.

Should I just treat the rust with Phosphoric acid or another type of chemical and then just leave it or coat the inside? The odd shape of the tank seems like it will be difficult to coat.

I thought removing the rust would be done best with a product like Evapo-rust but the problem is the shape of the tank will require at least 10 gallons of product to get all surfaces submerged for extended time.

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

914pipe
I did mine like a month ago too... and I'm very satisfied with the results.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.