Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bryan's Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bryanthompson
The official Bryan's Progress Blog can be found at http://bryanthompson.us but I want to keep things here also.. you know, for posterity smile.gif

I've never done any of this before, but I'm tryin' to learn. I realize I could buy a clean tub and save money/time, but this will be fun and exciting.

Anywho, here's what I started with... a rusted southern Nebraska '76 914.

bryanthompson
This afternoon I got ambitious and started carving up the passenger side long.

Found some interesting PO repair... Probably the only real quality work he'd done ever, but it still makes me a little mad. Apparently the inner long had rusted along the bottom so he cut out the bottom section and welded in new... right over a big freaking hole. So, now there's nothing keeping dirt and gravel out of the floor, and middle support. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing here. It is a good weld and it's strong, but I want a correct inner long... maybe I can build one or something.
bryanthompson
Front part of long
bryanthompson
Sail panel rust uncovered. Not as bad as I expected, but still sucky.
bryanthompson
This looked clean... I ended up finding a very nice bondo repair here... Ended up finding 3 different kinds of bondo. I could tell by the smell of the bondo and the colors, it was very interesting. One flavor of bondo even smelled minty-fresh. Too bad it had to f'n go!
bryanthompson
That's all for tonight. My next steps will be getting the rest of the long metal cleaned up and the gravel out of there. I'll probably make patches for the inner long in small sections and welding them in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.