Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grounding Straps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Do you have to use the braided type of grounding straps or can you just use regular coated grounding straps?
SGB
I can't imagine why you could not....

unsure.gif
SpecialK
I wouldn't think it would matter either way as long as all of the connections (connectors-to-strap, connectors-to-chassis/tranny) are good, and soldered cable-to-connectors would be better than crimped! I would however, if using something like battery-type cable, add a little extra length to it to help compensate for the movement of the engine/tranny while driving. The original type braided ground cable are very flexible which allows them to get away with using shorter ground strap lengths.

All that crap said, I prefer the braided type myself. I'm using an aircraft ground strap I got off Ebay cheap a couple of years back. Similar to original, but about twice the width (read: heavy-duty).

It doesn't say "Porsche" on it, but here's a possible alternative. Ask the seller as to the total length of the strap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=34202
3liter914-6
Summit also has braided ground straps. It measures 14". $4.95

I'm using a standard, 2 gauge ground strap from wally-world right now, because I couldn't find the braided when I went to put it all together. Works fine.
TC/914
The Karmann Ghia used braided copper straps for the trans and engine-to-battery cable. They're really cheap and around everywhere. They may be the same ones used in the 914.

TC
scruz914
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 6 2005, 09:45 PM)
It doesn't say "Porsche" on it.....

There aren't many things on our car that say "Porsche" on them. VW seems to be more prevalent. biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Mar 7 2005, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 6 2005, 09:45 PM)
It doesn't say "Porsche" on it.....

There aren't many things on our car that say "Porsche" on them. VW seems to be more prevalent. biggrin.gif

huh.gif

Good point! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.