Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How to Ship Glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
What is the best method to ship a peice of glass like a 914 front windshield or a 911 rear window?

-Britain
nickg
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Mar 6 2005, 08:39 PM)
What is the best method to ship a peice of glass like a 914 front windshield or a 911 rear window?

-Britain

get a 4"x4" box, a hammer and some glue.
1 take a picture of the window
2 use hammer smash.gif
3 broom up window and carefully place in box
4 insert glue in box being careful to bag the glue up in case it leaks in transit
5 put the picture in the box as directions
6 tape and ship insuring for fair price
7 upon arrival, have recipient file a damage claim wioth ups
8 they pay claim
9 person buys a new window by them at a glass shop
simple right?
there you go w00t.gif monkeydance.gif
boxstr
I shipped one to Chicago. I went to A glass shop and they had a wood crate that a windshield had just come in and they gave it to me and I just adapted it to fit the windshield and put the crate back together. And shipped it truck freight. Expensive.
CCLINFEDEXFELLOW
hwgunner
Had the same problem and asked FedEx what to do. the lady said that They wont cover it if it brakes and will say you did not pack it right. This is there standard answer for Auto Glass. Also said that she used to work in Mich. and Ford shipped a bunch of glass through them. Ford always sent 2 windows in seperate packages hoping that one would get there in one piece. My advice, DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!
neo914-6
Wood is more secure but I've seen some well packed in cardboard from glass suppliers. You know they can't afford to ship everything in wood. They also ship glass that is still in mass production... idea.gif
MattR
Wrap it in brown paper, write "FRAGILE" on the front, and get insurance on the package. LOL
Aaron Cox
get a box..... wrap the window in a plastic bag...fill bag with packing peanuts..... surround the window witha few layers of foam..... then fill the remainder of the box with liquid foam...expands... done!
Type 4
I bought two windsheilds from germany for my BWW 700 cs. They were shipped to me in BMW Factory Cardboard Windsheild Boxes. They arrived unbroken.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.