Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rich Bontempi's fiberglass fenders (High Performance House)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
I'm looking for any details or experience installing these. I spoke to Rich and he has no experience, or words of wisdom, regarding the installation. He has them on his race car attached with zeus fittings. I'm wanting to do a bonded installation. My question is; Does the entire existing fender need to be removed? Or should I leave some to bond to?
I would imagine the same question would apply to the QRS fenders, if anyone has bonded them on.
EdwardBlume
I like what Elliott did with his fenders, and removable.
Elliot Cannon
If you want to bond them on, make damn sure the fit-up is perfect. Dzus fasteners come and go but bonding is forever. av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 8 2015, 03:37 PM) *

If you want to bond them on, make damn sure the fit-up is perfect. Dzus fasteners come and go but bonding is forever. av-943.gif

You have any picts?
effutuo101
I used klecko's until I had the firmest correct. Then a 3M product to bond. I used the klecko's again to hold everything together until it cured.
If I did it again, I would use the fasteners. Easier to repair/replace if the car gets tapped.
Elliot Cannon
Easier to repair/replace if the car gets tapped. One of the reasons I chose Dzus.
Lennies914
I certainly understand the thought process of why to use the Dzus fasteners, especially if it were to be a tract car. This is "my Wife's" car (which really frees up the budget happy11.gif ). She wants a daily driver with A/C and is not too fond of the Dzus fasteners.
If there is a good argument against the fitment of the fenders I'm sure I could convince her to go with the Dzus fasteners. But as for replacement if damaged, I'll let the insurance worry about that once it's completed.

effutuo101 Did you use Rich's fenders? If so, how was the fitment?
Mike Bellis
Welcome back Lennie! piratenanner.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 8 2015, 06:10 PM) *

Thanks!!

Looks like I missed alot. I was just reading about McMark moving, sad.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 8 2015, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 8 2015, 06:10 PM) *

Thanks!!

Looks like I missed alot. I was just reading about McMark moving, sad.gif

Krusty died too... sad.gif
Andyrew
You mean these?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ya, I run them. I left about 2" of fender, pounded down and grafted the whole thing. My signature should have some links somewhere in my progress thread. let me dig..
jd74914
If you guys don't mind me asking, about how much does a set run?
Andyrew
I picked up my set "used" so I cant really say about new.. You'd have to call Rich to find out.

Cant find my link... I riveted them in with industrial glue used to mount new car body panels, ground down the rivet heads and used kitty hair over everything, kept grinding to get the shape right. It was pretty thin in some spots, but I've stood on them without any issues. Also I kitty haired the undersides and then fiberglased over that between the body and fender. Its probably about 1/2-3/4" where the seam is. The under side needs to be supported in the rear as well. I welded tabs, drilled holes for something for the material to bind to and fiberglassed/kitty haired that as well.
EdwardBlume
Wow. That's a lot of fender. Not much you can't tuck under there.
Lennies914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 8 2015, 09:13 PM) *

If you guys don't mind me asking, about how much does a set run?

$1300.00 will get you all four corners. He sells them in two thickness' , light for racing and medium for street cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.