Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I found a #4 screw plugging a small hole in my gas tank. Can JB Weld be used to fill the hole ?
bahnzai
I have used it successfully on a rust through hole in the tank. I figured I was no worse off if it did not work. Not an elegant solution, but functional!
zipedadoo
Don't do it if you have ethanol in your fuel. It will eat the jb weld. Search the web you will see it's true....smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Anyone try the Permatex Repair Kit ?
r_towle
Dude, weld it.

Take it out, dump the fuel, fill it with water and weld it.

Rich
toolguy
Welding is difficult on rusted metal and often leads to a larger hole. .
clean the outside to bare shiny steel, use acid to clean and prep and solder a patch.
Jeffs9146
I welded mine! That was 2 years ago and all is good!
cary
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 8 2015, 06:55 PM) *

Anyone try the Permatex Repair Kit ?

Rich, that's what I used.
The details are buried in the What Have You Done Thread. Fixed the pinhole with the Permatex then resealed with the POR15 kit. Gooder as new ................
Elliot Cannon
Clean up the rust, even if it means making the hole bigger. clean it up, fill it with water, weld a patch on it and paint it. Or I can give you a tank I have. (If Ihaven't tossed it). I'll see if it's still around tomorrow.
rick 918-S
There has to be a couple thousand tanks in storage in guys garages and sheds throughout the US. Why not post an ad in the classifieds and just get a replacement.
sb914
Hey Jim, maybe you can get one this weekend at gnr , post wtb I'm sure someone will bring one.maybe Bruce has one.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 9 2015, 05:36 AM) *

Hey Jim, maybe you can get one this weekend at gnr , post wtb I'm sure someone will bring one.maybe Bruce has one.

I believe there is one locally if needed; gonna take the tank down to Caps Radiator Shop in HB. Hate to replace; it is powder coated and in good condition other than the hole. It is not a rust hole.
GregAmy
I've used the Balkamp/NAPA one successfully on my tank. Two years and still going strong.

Welding/soldering a patch is the "correct" way, of course.
76-914
I can silver solder or weld it up if you need. Kent
JamesM
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 9 2015, 04:31 AM) *

There has to be a couple thousand tanks in storage in guys garages and sheds throughout the US. Why not post an ad in the classifieds and just get a replacement.

agree.gif

Tanks are super easy to pull, and with all the parts cars out there and limited need to replace gas tanks an undamaged one should be easy to come by.

I have 3 extras at the moment, but I am sure you could find one locally without much effort.
Mark Henry
On my bug I welded a surge tank right to the bottom of a main tank.
I never tested my welds , I epoxied the whole bottom of the tank. No leaks, but I only use real gas.
913B
Contact Rotary'14 Robert I believe he has an extra that has already been POR-15 treated
jim_hoyland
Update: took it to the radiator shop and had it soldered. Asked the guy how much experience he had filling holes in gas tanks; turns out he is from Beruit Lebonon and filled hundreds of gas tanks that were hit by bullets. He said my hole wasn't even big enough to pass a BB... smile.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 9 2015, 04:08 PM) *

Update: took it to the radiator shop and had it soldered. Asked the guy how much experience he had filling holes in gas tanks; turns out he is from Beruit Lebonon and filled hundreds of gas tanks that were hit by bullets. He said my hole wasn't even big enough to pass a BB... smile.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions

Tank looks nice. No wonder you didn't want to replace it
JeffBowlsby
What we all want to know Jim is how did that "friend of yours" happen to put the screw in the tank in the first place. That's the real story here.... happy11.gif
MartyYeoman
agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
Next time someone shoots a hole in my tank, I'll know where to go. Funny story. Sad but kinda funny.
Steve
I watched a friend growing up install a stereo in a bug. He drilled a hole and we both wondered "why is there gas coming out of the hole"?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 9 2015, 05:02 PM) *

What we all want to know Jim is how did that "friend of yours" happen to put the screw in the tank in the first place. That's the real story here.... happy11.gif

Aha yes; the hole and the screw. A hole was being drilled in the passenger firewall to accomdate a zip tie; the kind that is held in place with a ssms. Drill bit went through the firewall and the tank. Pulled the tank, plugged the hole with a sms. Upon returning from Rennsport three was a very faint smell of gas; gas was weeping along the threads of the screw.

The good news is I found an 8mm socket underneath the tank... smile.gif
vinniedatorch
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 8 2015, 06:18 PM) *

I found a #4 screw plugging a small hole in my gas tank. Can JB Weld be used to fill the hole ?

Bring it to me i'll weld it. Ask Eddy to put you in touch with me
vinniedatorch
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 9 2015, 05:36 AM) *

Duh, my friend Vinnie can fix it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.