Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Width of GT fender flares vs. Stock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
madmax914
I'm sure this has been discussed several times on this forum but I'm just not finding it in a search. I would like to know how much wider are the GT fenders front and rear than stock fenders? I know they allow you to put a 7" wheel/tire combo in the front and 8" in the rear but I'm looking for an actual measument. If I hold a new GT fender up to a stock fender what is the measurement from lip to lip?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike Bellis
I can fit a 10.5" rim if I get the right offset. My current wheel is a 9" rear with 23mm offset.

I never measured the fender width delta.
mgp4591
The GT flares are 7" over in front and 9" over in back unless you go with the BIG ones from GT Racing- those are 9" over and 11" over respectively. The amount you can fit under the flares now is up to backspacing and such.
madmax914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 9 2015, 04:25 PM) *

I can fit a 10.5" rim if I get the right offset. My current wheel is a 9" rear with 23mm offset.

I just bought a set for wheels and the rears are 9". Bolting them on the rear they extend 3-1/2" past the stock fender lip. I want to go with steel flares and I'm able to modify the steel flares slightly to accommodate the wider wheels but I don't want to widen them 2-3", that may exceed my talents.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 9 2015, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 9 2015, 04:25 PM) *

I just bought a set for wheels and the rears are 9". Bolting them on the rear they extend 3-1/2" past the stock fender lip. I want to go with steel flares and I'm able to modify the steel flares slightly to accommodate the wider wheels but I don't want to widen them 2-3", that may exceed my talents.

What's the offset?
r_towle
Seem to recall its near 1.5 to 2" at the lip.

Sounds like your offset may not work on those wheels.
SirAndy
Never did a delta either but i can tell you that 10" in the rear is pushing it as far as room under a set of GT flares goes.

Even with the perfect offset wheel you still might get some tire rubbing on the inside under hard cornering.

I run 10" slicks on the track and i have a shaved lip on the flares. I can't put a finger between the tires and the fender on the outside and i still get the occasional tire rub on the inside.
smile.gif
madmax914
So I measured my rear wheels, they are actually 9.5" wide. The backspacing is 3.5" so that leaves me with a 32mm offset.
r_towle
You will need about a 1 inch spacer in the rear, and you will need to choose your tires really well.

When and if you put on steel flares, you can slice the top open front to rear and put in another slice of sheet metal to stretch them out a bit more.
You can also just hammer dolly them wider in the areas it will rub.

Cut off the inner lip of the fender also, that helps.
PanelBilly
Roll the lip and it will be stronger
SirAndy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 9 2015, 09:55 PM) *
Roll the lip and it will be stronger

agree.gif Don't cut the lip, roll it for strength.
r_towle
Interesting, the 356 has a rolled fender lip, but it's rolled around/over a 1/8 inch welding Rod, hammer dollied tight to that profile, give it just enough beef on the edge to prevent flexing.

If I was going to cut it, I would leave at least 1/8 inch and do not roll it.
If I was to roll it over, I will put in that Rod, it's just a nice way to stiffen it up and it removes the sharp edge of a cut lip that could damage a tire...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.