Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing key start from steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
What would be the best way of going about this? I want to put the key ignitions on the dash panel to the left like 911's have.

I also want to put the windshield wiper swith on the dash, how many speeds are 914 windshield wipers anyway?

If anyone has done anything similar good you post some pics

thanks,
Josh
Qarl
Changing to a dash key would take a lot of work (if you want it to be like the factory).

You have other options...

One would be to install a push button switch in the dash (like many modern cars). You would have to put the key in the ignition to turn it to the ON position, then push the button to start the car.

OR... you might be able to get a generic key switch and install it in the dash and rewire everything.

As far as the wipers... it should be two speeds (but I think some cars had an intermitent option (by adding a relay).

A lot depends on what year car you have.

If you look at a wiring diagram, then you can figure out which color wires control which functions.

thesey914
Find the right 914-6 bits...most had the key in the dash.
McMark
You can get an early dash mounted wiper switch. That's easy. You can cut the column mounted wiper switch arm off (you can't remove the switch itself because it's integrated with the turn signal). You could remove the key and tumbler from the column and rig some way to mount it behind the dash. Then cut off the section of the column that used to hold the switch. Fiberglass or weld patches over the now unnecessary areas of the column. Paint it black. Done.

It can be done. It can be done pretty well. It won't be easy and it won't be quick. If you skip trying to use stock parts (lose the stock 914 key) it could be easier.
URY914
The hardest part would be trying to use the stock key and lock. The actual switch is very small and simple with only 3 wires if I remember right.

You could use a key/lock/switch unit used by the dune buggy or the street rod crowd. CB Performance or Summit Racing would have the parts. It would be pretty simple really.

Paul
markb
Or you can pull the parts off of a 911. wink.gif

I've found an early 912 to pull the switch and column from, but that's a future project.

Expect to do a lot of work. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.