Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power coating rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I am going to be powder coating my rims,( Mahles) what has been the experence out there. Main reason is durability of finish.and easy of cleaning. Dave biggrin.gif biggrin.gif monkeydance.gif
skline
Ideal way to go in my opinion. I like the Mahle wheels over all the others. I like the Fuchs too but have seen many of them crack during AX. I have never seen a Mahle crack. I almost had a set till the rootbeer car got sold. I couldnt come up with a set of Fuchs to replace them with so the car sold with the Mahles. Oh well, I am not in a hurry. You are going to go with the Wurth Silver right??
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (BarberDave @ Mar 7 2005, 08:31 AM)
I am going to be power coating my rims...

if you can afford it, go with the 75HP power coat; otherwise, the 50HP is good...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Yes they wiil be stock silver ,or as closeas possable.
ArtechnikA , what is the difference between 75 hp and 50 hp, power coater is sending samples, is there one that is better. Thanks Dave beerchug.gif alfred.gif
mikerose
QUOTE (BarberDave @ Mar 7 2005, 07:19 AM)

, what is the difference between 75 hp and 50 hp, power coater is sending samples is there one that is bettet.

HAHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa screwy.gif

mike cool_shades.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
OK, I should have used SPELL CHECK. But this is a example to you young guys. What old age does to you. Have pity please!!!!! monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Ok is the any difference in types of POWDER coating. Laughing at myself Dave wavey.gif
David Mueller
The fellow you re-finsihed my Mahle's didn't recommend powder coating he said powder ocating works best on steel rims. He said the material the Mahle's are made of can become compromized when subjected to the high heat of powder coating...

Maybe he was full of CR*P too...

Any have any comments...
jmargush
I had my Mahles done in two colors. center one color and rim another. Heat of powder coating shouldn't affect the material. your only looking at about 400 degrees.
jmargush
I had my Mahles done in two colors. center one color and rim another. Heat of powder coating shouldn't affect the material. your only looking at about 400 degrees.
Ferg
I had my ATS's done in a satin black and they turned out very nice, and so far no chips, but they only have one track weekend on them...

I have also heard that powder coating wheels especially cast wheels can possibly make them weaker, I forwared that info to my friend who is in the business and also a shifter cart racer and powdercoats many parts of his own , and he said it could be true but for wheels he bakes them in a two step heat process slightly lower to start and has not had any problems of parts failing.

So from what I know nobody knows for sure

confused24.gif

Mine:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.