Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk wont open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
catsltd
Bought a new lock assemble with a key for my rear trunk.
Installed it and trunk will not open at all.

On to the list.
1. When installing the new lock cylinder make sure the l tab(the part that turns with the key is installed facing up.
If you install it facing downwards when you close the trunk it will latch but will not reopen no matter what you try,you are now locked out with a key in your hand.

I read you have to get into the trunk by undoing the bolts holding the back of the trunk so you can get some extensions into the trunk to undo the 2 latch bolts.

Okay.
2.When undoing the bolts holding the rear trunk latches Do not undo the 2 small 10MM bolts holding down the long metal spring that keeps tension on the hood to keep it open.(It is under a ton of pressure.)
It will release send things everywhere and damage the body work all in a millisecond.Plus it Will scare the shit out of you when it all of a sudden unwinds.

3.You will need a lot of extensions to reach the 2 bolt latches at the front of the trunk,like what I read tape them together tightly Or they Might separate when wiggling around inside the trunk.(Tightly Together).
Having 3 socket extensions in the front of the trunk and 3 in your hand will not speed things up.

Luckily i had a trusty magnet with almost enuff extensions on it to reach the socket extension in the trunk.But thats another story unto it self.
Moving on:
4, The 2 bolts you need to undo to get into the trunk are 11MM not 13MM that I have read before attempting this job,it really is quite hard trying to get 6 extensions all bent ober onto the 2 bolts and having the knowing the right size needed might keep you from the extensions falling off from all the extra screwing around.

So today:
I will somehow figure a way to get the metal spring thing put back onto my hinge,it seems to have a lot of tension any suggestions would be nice.

As I am writing this it seems kind of funny,although last night not so much.

A 914 learning curve is Not for the faint of heart.

So thats my list.
I know its a short list,but I am pretty sure I covered everything that a normal person could screw up.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 10 2015, 08:46 AM) *

So thats my list.
I know its a short list,but I am pretty sure I covered everything that a normal person could screw up.

Looks like my list when I closed the trunk and forgot to connect the solenoid wires back (rear reflector installed - never again)...

I now have an emergency cable (Plan B) attached.
rmdinmd
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=39320&st=0

try this thread
EdwardBlume
Thanks for sharing...

In a way, you've made us all feel better.... about our mistakes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.