Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator ground strap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Some of you may have read my old thread about my alternator not charging after eliminating all possibilities I decided to pull the intake and check the alternator.

The first thing I noticed is that the alternator's ground strap from the block is connected on top of a top of the fan which is plastic.

See picture. Is that where it should be?
Bartlett 914
Others will probably correct me but I think The cars did not have a ground strap on the alternator. I install one because I feel is is better to have one than not. I assume the previous owner did that and made a poor choice on location
TheCabinetmaker
Not a six guru, but I've never seen a ground strap on any alternator. Seems redundant. The case is grounded to the block.
toolguy
That's where it goes, grounds the alt case to one of the engine case center bolts
914itis
Thanks ,

I pulled it , will have it tested Monday at an alternator shop .
luskesq
That is where it goes on my 911s

Keith
rgalla9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 10 2015, 07:25 PM) *

That's where it goes, grounds the alt case to one of the engine case center bolts

+1
rgalla9146
QUOTE(luskesq @ Oct 10 2015, 08:19 PM) *

That is where it goes on my 911s

Keith

+2
walterolin
From Captain Krusty:

"While there is a ground strap on the 6, and it's clearly illustrated in the shop manual, there's no such thing for the 4. As there are TWO good points of contact on the 4, is makes no sense to add the hassle (and weight, for you hard core racers) of a separate ground strap. Such a thing for the 4 cylinder engine is neither shown nor listed in the parts breakdown or in the shop manual. And it's not the problem here.

The Cap'n"

5 Sept 2007
bandjoey
Clean the grounds. After 40 years they're corroded. All of them. The whole car. It'll change your electrical life biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
I had a broken brush once. It would test fine and then not work for a while. Have them check the brushes.
screenguy914
Separate grounding is a good way to insure the electrical path to battery has low resistance, especially in high current circuits. Diminished conductivity here might result in reduced charging rates.

Sherwood
9fourteen14
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 11 2015, 01:04 AM) *

Clean the grounds. After 40 years they're corroded. All of them. The whole car. It'll change your electrical life biggrin.gif

hey pal,
I know this was 2 years ago for you. but help me out...

I know there re many ground locations.... where are the ones you took care of and cleaned? I wish I had a ground map?

thanx 914 luva
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(914itis @ Oct 11 2015, 07:50 AM) *

Some of you may have read my old thread about my alternator not charging after eliminating all possibilities I decided to pull the intake and check the alternator.

The first thing I noticed is that the alternator's ground strap from the block is connected on top of a top of the fan which is plastic.

See picture. Is that where it should be?

That's where it should be,the connection on to the air diverter is an altenator through bolt,it is an important connection ,you need to make sure the ends are clean or replace if its badly corroded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.