Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a Clarke 130 MIG Welder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkos
I've read some of the past threads about welders, but I didn't see anything about Clarke welders.

I'm three weeks into welding lessons and starting to think about buying a mig to do some rust repair on my 914. Eastwood sells a Clarke 130 package with cart, helmet, regulator and gas conversion kit for $450.00. Anyone out there have any experience/advice about this welder? Would it be worth it to spring for the additional $200 and get a Millermatic 135? Cyberweld.com has a Millermatic 135 package, similar to Eastwood's Clarke package, for $633.

I'm not going to be using this thing everyday and don't have a lot of $$$. I just want something that works well and will hold up. Just want to make some sparks on the weekend!

Thanks,

Dave
CptTripps
Get the Millermatic...BUT!

Look for a 130XP. You'll have to get one used, but the 130XP uses a copper transformer. You can find one with the gas conversion for about $450 used. I paid 300ish for mine.

Grab the yellow pages, and look for welding REPAIR shops. they ALWAYS have something that they fixed, and never got picked up. You can get SERIOUS deals that way!
riverman
With welders, just like anything else you buy, you generally get what you pay for. If the welder is alot cheaper than everything else, then there's a good chance it has cheaper parts in it, or the seller is making less profit on it. Clarke makes a good machine, but I can't speak for your particular model because I don't have one (I use a Lincoln SP100-T).

If you're just going to be welding on your teener, you don't need too much of a welder because you're going to be welding at the low end of the power and wire speed settings, and you're never going to push it's duty cycle. But, if you plan to do more than light guage steel, you might want to consider something a little more robust.
aircooledboy
I got that exact welder for X mas, but I can't tell you how good it is, because it still in the box. lol2.gif I liked the gas/nogas set up, and it seemed like a very good unit for the price to me. But then again, you have taken a welding class, which makes you a MUCH better welder than me already.

Seriously, my step dad is a retired pipe fitter who teaches the union class around here now. I swear the guy could weld 2x4s to a rock, and he liked it for the price, so that was good enough for me. mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.