Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arc'd My Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Don't ever arc your battery.

Damn near welded the wrench and terminals together. Melted the ground terminal clamp but the battery was fine after putting the fire out.

A reminder to be safe...

Wiring still worked after the roast but the generator light is on... going to have to figure that out now..
ConeDodger
Check the ground stud to the body. You can melt that too! blink.gif
vw505
Always ground the battery last.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(vw505 @ Oct 11 2015, 06:27 AM) *

Always ground the battery last.

I did. I was tightening the ground bolt. I was just sloppy and was using the larger RL battery because I was cranking the motor for a long time.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 11 2015, 06:16 AM) *

Check the ground stud to the body. You can melt that too! blink.gif

Will do. Most of the juice was running between the terminals.

Had the car coughing / popping after installing a new terminal clamp.
JoeDees
I've done that, not on a 914, but on a bug. I deformed a wrench and killed the voltage regulator (though it may or may not have been dead anyways).
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Oct 11 2015, 07:23 AM) *

I've done that, not on a 914, but on a bug. I deformed a wrench and killed the voltage regulator (though it may or may not have been dead anyways).

I think my VR is shot too. Might have an extra one around somewhere.
jim_hoyland
Now I remember why I put a shop cloth over the + terminal when tightening the - terminal...... smile.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 11 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Now I remember why I put a shop cloth over the + terminal when tightening the - terminal...... smile.gif

Kindling? Maybe douce it in gas first for a flash? av-943.gif

Actually, a very good idea. I was just sloppy.
Elliot Cannon
BTDT. Burnt the shit out of my hand.
stugray
BTDT, but it was a wrench from the top of the weber carb to the pos terminal on the batt.
old dog
Is this where the professional mechanic reminds everyone that this can also cause an instantaneous explosion of the battery ! You should always wear eye protection when working on the terminals , cables ,starter, or alternator , just in case you have a spastic moment. I have only seen it three times in forty years, but all three were like small bombs going off , with sulfuric acid everywhere. Please be safe, disconnect the negative ( ground ) cable first and reconnect it last, but wear glasses !
Mueller
Ouch....

Best battery arc for me was the hood of another car of mine.....new battery fit perfect.......except for height as it was an easy inch too tall! Luckily they make the hoods of Datsun 510 on the thin side so the arcing was short.
GaroldShaffer
Dropped a crescent wrench over the top of a battery back up setup for a cell site back in 84. By the time it arched & sparked its way through the entire 4 ft tall rack it was nothing but a blob of melted metal. That scared the stromberg.gif out of me (I was 19 then) that and I learned to NEVER take the cover off the rack while working above it, not matter how much it was PITA to work around. biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Last year someone (Tom T?) sold a kit of fuses to place inline on the positive battery cables. Would those fuses stopped the alternator and other parts from frying? That's what I was thinking....electrical genius...let me and us know. It might be good for others to know.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 11 2015, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Oct 11 2015, 07:23 AM) *

I think my VR is shot too. Might have an extra one around somewhere.

I may have a VR for you Rob, if you need one.
7TPorsh
BTDT: old Dodge Charger years ago. Tightening the Pos terminal with a "too big wrench". Hit the neg terminal and the top of the radiator at the same time. Burned a half inch hole in the top of the radiator...starting spouting like Old Faithful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.