Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 IMSA Racer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quilmes
Hello my 914 friends:
I was wondering if anyone knew the whereabouts of this 914 race car. It was built and raced by Altman racing the same people that built the Pontiac Racing GTU Fiero’s.
As you can tell from the photos this 914 is very well built, the pictures are from Sebring 1987.
In the mid 1990’s it came up for sale and at that time it was in Puerto Rico, it came with a lot of spares and two engines back then they were asking $20,000 (I wish I had $20,000 back then to spare) I know that ZOT’s Racing was interested in making it into a open-top IMSA/SportsCars racer, a rule and direction that endurance racing was going in at that time. Nothing happened and the car as far as I know fell of the map.

I have no information on Altman Racing it wouild be great to get soem of there photos and history on this car.
If anyone knows or has any more photos, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Quilmes
Quilmes
Here is another.
Quilmes
and another photo of the 914
Quilmes
Sorry if the images are a bit big, but I wanted to show the detail to the workmanship.

Thanks
Quilmes
davep
I have several pictures of the car. It was involved in a shunt with some other entrant, and DNFed that event. Used Fiero uprights, I guess there were quite familiar with them.
Quilmes
QUOTE (davep @ Mar 7 2005, 08:10 AM)
I have several pictures of the car. It was involved in a shunt with some other entrant, and DNFed that event. Used Fiero uprights, I guess there were quite familiar with them.

Davep:
Thanks for the quick reply, I know that the Altman Bros built the Fiero's to go GTU racing in IMSA, I guess they had some extra parts around the shop and decide to put a 914 shell around it since it was also a mid engine layout.

If you have any of those photos I would greatly appreciate it.

Muchas Thanks
Quilmes
URY914
I'll have to look thru my stuff too, I may have something. I was there in '87.
Do you know if it ever ran in PCA Club Racing?

Paul
Quilmes
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 7 2005, 08:21 AM)
I'll have to look thru my stuff too, I may have something. I was there in '87.
Do you know if it ever ran in PCA Club Racing?

Paul

Hey Paul
sorry to miss the Tampa morning event, I had just come back into town and my family and house needed some attention, how was the HSR event in Sebring ?

I do not know if it ever raced in PCA, I got those photos from John at Black Forest in DelRey.
I know that it was for sale in Puerto Rico a while back.
If the price is right I would love to have that 914.

Thanks and I like the past photos from Sebring that you posted last week.

Excellent

Quilmes
URY914
It looks like it has a 917/962 style flat fan.
URY914
And a steel passenger door. ohmy.gif
Stutgart46
Was the car last seen in Florida? Was it painted Red after this picture? If so, I know where it was a couple of years ago. There was a guy by the name of Armand Pugh that had a shop in Cape Coral and he bought this car in Daytona (or that area). He had it in his shop for a long time and he would not sell it. Bob Snodgrass came down to buy it one time and Armand said no way. No telling what Brumos offered him.
Armand was an interesting guy (read that as asshole). He had a heart attack last year on I-4 and US27 and died in his truck. Now nobody knows what happened to the car. I would imagine that it was sold or given to someone to resolve a debt.
When I last saw this car, 2002 or so, it was just a roller. But it was in good condition.
Paul if you email me I will try to provide with you some more detailed info.
Post some pics of the HSR weekend,please,please,please.
URY914
QUOTE (Stutgart46 @ Mar 7 2005, 08:56 AM)
Paul if you email me I will try to provide with you some more detailed info.
Post some pics of the HSR weekend,please,please,please.

Martin wants the info on the car, not me. Also I didn't go to Sebring HSR. Steve and Eric did. Steve said he'd post some pics. I looked at a few sites last night looking for pictures and didn't find any. If I find any I'll let you know.

Paul
Stutgart46
Whoops.
Martin if you email me I would be happy to give you all of the details that I know.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 7 2005, 08:41 AM)

...And MFI!

--DD
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 7 2005, 12:33 PM)

...And MFI!

--DD

jsut about to post that......

you can see the fuel distributor thingy.... wink.gif
Quilmes
QUOTE (Stutgart46 @ Mar 7 2005, 10:38 AM)
Whoops.
Martin if you email me I would be happy to give you all of the details that I know.

Stutgart46: smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks for your help, I do not know if it was painted red, all I know is that it was for sale in Puerto Rico in the mid 90's. It came with an impressive list of parts.
If you can share this information with me I would be extremely grateful. I admire the workmanship that went into this car. Many of my 914 friends from Germany also like how in the United States the 914 has had a longer self life, placing very strongly in the 24hrs of Daytona in 1980 and GT3 & GT2 in SCCA till this day.
This goes to show the potential and love this car really received.
My personal e-mail is tmnational@yahoo.com or marnaud@zgsgroup.com

Thank you in advance

Martin
Reiche

I remember seeing a flat-fan engine like that on the dyno at Autothority back in 1990 or so. The operator said it was from an IMSA 914-6 (I think it was a 2 liter.) I wonder if it's the same one? How many of those were there? I don't recall seeing the car it was from.
Scott Carlberg
QUESTION!

what is that Silver/Aluminum (?) thingy to the Right of the drivers door in the first picture?
thanks.

Sc
wrpspddrvr
Besides allowing the car to go lower, what's the advantage of having the swaybars on top?

Cole monkeydance.gif
Quilmes
QUOTE (Scott Carlberg @ Mar 7 2005, 02:11 PM)
QUESTION!

what is that Silver/Aluminum (?) thingy to the Right of the drivers door in the first picture?
thanks.

Sc

I think that they are Air Intakes/ Oil Coolers ???
Quilmes
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 7 2005, 02:20 PM)
Besides allowing the car to go lower, what's the advantage of having the swaybars on top?

Cole monkeydance.gif

With this IMSA 914 I think it was easier to put the bar in that location, if it goes in the middle of the tubes it might interfere with some part of the car, like the transmission for quick replacing.
I know that on stock bodied 914 with the trunk in place it helps to lower the car and will prevent it from bottoming out on the trunk. I had the same problem with my 914 and the rear sway bar link would hit the trunk from underneath. Then I found out that my car handled better with out it.

I have a picture of the Max Moritz 914 with the sway bar in the trunk when I find it I will post it,

Thanks
Thorshammer
Well, I think you are in luck!

The Fiero chassis were intially built by Joe Huffaker and if this is correct, the car you seek was the Dole Pineapple sponsered car that was later configured to it's current spec which is a Boxster body tube frame with 993 rear suspension. This may be the car you are looking for. The person you want to talk to is Steve Limbert of Aircooled racing in PA 717 432-4116. He is aware of the car and its whereabouts. Not completely sure this is THE car you want, but, it is very similar to what you are seeking. It is in pieces at this point, but the price is okay. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Erik Madsen
URY914
I'm thinking I remember seeing two cars. Were two cars built? confused24.gif
Here it is in 1985...
URY914
Martin,
I Goggled it and found this...
http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/10...079470632pa.htm

Your welcome in advance...
Paul biggrin.gif
URY914
But it has a different ass...
Quilmes
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 7 2005, 05:05 PM)
But it has a different ass...

Hey Paul thanks, I have seen this car before and tried to contact the owner to see if he knew of the 914 I am searching for, but I got no response, I will try to contact the person from P.A, as mentioned in the other e-mail.
I know that the Altec Lansing 914 was for sale last year for $20,-25,000 and it also had a nice list of parts.

Thanks and if you can find any more photos that would be great.
Quilmes
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Mar 7 2005, 03:35 PM)
Well, I think you are in luck!

The Fiero chassis were intially built by Joe Huffaker and if this is correct, the car you seek was the Dole Pineapple sponsered car that was later configured to it's current spec which is a Boxster body tube frame with 993 rear suspension. This may be the car you are looking for. The person you want to talk to is Steve Limbert of Aircooled racing in PA 717 432-4116. He is aware of the car and its whereabouts. Not completely sure this is THE car you want, but, it is very similar to what you are seeking. It is in pieces at this point, but the price is okay. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Erik Madsen

Erik, smilie_pokal.gif thanks I will follow up with that lead, any idea on the price and what is left of that car?
URY914
Martin,
The Huffaker website says they built 15!!! cars.
I also found referance to Trivette down in North Fort Myers. One site say he built the first ones for Huffarker.
Maltese Falcon
biggrin.gif Nice rear suspension geometry on the Altman built car, and looks like Girling 4 piston calipers. Flat fan 914s RULE, I guess this makes two of them now biggrin.gif
red914
not an intended hijacking, and not meaning to be ignorant, but can we have flat fans somehow? electric? or am i just dreaming?....
Series9
QUOTE (red914 @ Mar 7 2005, 10:53 PM)
not an intended hijacking, and not meaning to be ignorant, but can we have flat fans somehow? electric? or am i just dreaming?....

You're dreaming. They go for $12k these days.
Quilmes
QUOTE (red914 @ Mar 7 2005, 09:53 PM)

Red 914:
Here is a photo of a 914-4 with some type of top fan, I want to say Corvair? Maybe... It was at a 914 event in Savannah, GA. huh.gif

I can hear Maltese Falcon with his beautiful black turbo charged flat fan 914-6 cringe his hands and grind his teeth when he see this picture. ar15.gif Please don’t shot the messenger.

I had the chance to pick up the one of the race engines with the flat fans from the Atlman 914 for under $10,000. The total packaged was for $25,000, As I said before I wish I had the money to buy that car when it came up for sale. headbang.gif
TravisNeff
I think that is an electric fan that someone was selling a few years back with the engine tin to boot.
URY914
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 8 2005, 10:46 AM)
I think that is an electric fan that someone was selling a few years back with the engine tin to boot.

Thats right. I believe they still have an ad in Pano or Excellance. I have a pic at home of it. I think thier in Memphis.

Paul
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 8 2005, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 8 2005, 10:46 AM)

Thats right. I believe they still have an ad in Pano or Excellance. I have a pic at home of it. I think thier in Memphis.

Paul

yup

guy posts on pelican.... porschedoc i think

neat idea.....
one914racer has a riechert tuning horizontal shroud on his 2.666 L 4 banger
Reiche
not an intended hijacking, and not meaning to be ignorant, but can we have flat fans somehow?  electric?  or am i just dreaming?....

Racer Chris has (had?) one. Looks like a Corvair fan.
user posted image
Brett W
That silver car is a major turd. Two or three years ago it caught fire at RA and burned pretty bad. The fire was put out with some sort of powder and it began attacking the chassis. So the owner cuts all the sheetmetal out. It is a big motor, not sure what stroke but it has 103s and Electromotive ignition. He hasn't figured out how to tune it either. I was parked across from his trailer a couple of races back and he couldn't make it run worth a damn.

The fan is sold by Aircooled CLassics up in Knoxville. Don knows his stuff but I don't think the fan works all that well. I have heard that it won't cool number 1 very well. The Reichart units are supposed to be nice, don't know how reliable they are though. The DTM appears to be a better option.
URY914
Here is the electric flat fan...
Aaron Cox
i cant trust an electric fan to keep my motor cool.....

it would have to be belt driven for me..... blink.gif
airsix
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 7 2005, 09:57 PM)
not an intended hijacking, and not meaning to be ignorant, but can we have flat fans somehow?  electric?  or am i just dreaming?....

Mueller could make one.

-Ben M.

ps - Hey Mike, I know you've already thought about it. wink.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Reiche @ Mar 8 2005, 12:21 PM)

Racer Chris has (had?) one. Looks like a Corvair fan.

Yup Chris Folley's racecar has a belt-driven corvair fan. Its kinda cool to see it spinning in person. Of course the exhaust is also really sweet. Last time I was over there he had it (I think, memories kinda foggy)

Its about halfway down

user posted image
Mueller
QUOTE (airsix @ Mar 8 2005, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 7 2005, 09:57 PM)

Mueller could make one.

-Ben M.

ps - Hey Mike, I know you've already thought about it. wink.gif

I'll have to find the article....it mentions that the drive mech. for the horizontal fan required up to 30 hp to turn the fan...not a big deal on a 1000hp motor, but for a /4 with only 95hp to start with, there could be some drawbacks, hahahaha

nein14-6
Getting back on topic. The car that was at Steve Limbert’s shop, I was told by the owner was a fiero up until the point that they made it a Boxster. This may be one of the Fieros that you are referring to but I don’t think that it was the 914 you are looking for.
nein14-6
nein14-6
URY914
While I was searching for Fiero info I found this site and the story of this mid-engine build up. It may not be a P-car although it does use a 930 tranny, it is mid engine and makes for a good read. The V-8 guys here should check it out...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/789315/1

Paul

URY914
Here is a shot of the Fiero from the site listed above.

He's got a V-8 with 645 HP!!

brant
sorry for steering this topic off track.
but there are aout 10 colorado 4cylinder cars running that electric fan with VERY good results.

AJRS runs them on all his top cars.
His 2.2L/4 gt5 pca car is one of the fastest gt5s at any event. Ask Brad, but I think they ran AJ's car at a club race against Rich's SCCA car...

(my memory sucks and I wasn't there, but it was 5 or more seconds a lapper quicker)

of course its AJ's package and 400cc's that make his car quick... not just the fan. But I know he was telling me that his motor was 3+ seasons old and tired, yet producing about 205hp. He has a couple of extra cooling tricks too, but the fan can be made to work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.