Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EK914
Need help. At my wits end. I'm in the process of restoring my wife's 914 that has been in storage for 20 years. My background is American muscle so all of this is foreign to me. Was having trouble getting lights to go up and down and come on. Got it fixed but now windshield wipers nor radio will work unless head lights are on. Has something to do with #8 fuse. I've replaced the horn and heater relay. Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks, DB

SirAndy
QUOTE(EK914 @ Oct 11 2015, 01:32 PM) *

Need help. At my wits end. I'm in the process of restoring my wife's 914 that has been in storage for 20 years. My background is American muscle so all of this is foreign to me. Was having trouble getting lights to go up and down and come on. Got it fixed but now windshield wipers nor radio will work unless head lights are on. Has something to do with #8 fuse. I've replaced the horn and heater relay. Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks, DB

Do you have a color wiring diagram? What year is the car?
idea.gif

PS: welcome.png
EK914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 11 2015, 04:39 PM) *

idea.gif

Yes I have a wiring diagram from Prospero's garage. The diagram does not have a radio circuit on it though. It's a 1975.

white1975
QUOTE(EK914 @ Oct 11 2015, 01:43 PM) *

idea.gif

Yes I have a wiring diagram from Prospero's garage. The diagram does not have a radio circuit on it though. It's a 1975.

sounds like they tied the radio into the wrong circuit
I would have to go out and look at mine and remember how mine was wired
also a 1975 I have not looked under the lid of mine for 30 plus years
so I would have to kick my brain a little
white1975
QUOTE(white1975 @ Oct 11 2015, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(EK914 @ Oct 11 2015, 01:43 PM) *

idea.gif

sounds like they tied the radio into the wrong circuit
I am in milford ohio now
I would have to go out and look at mine and remember how mine was wired
also a 1975 I have not looked under the lid of mine for 30 plus years
so I would have to kick my brain a little

EK914
This car has always been in my wife's family. The radio has always worked. I just had paint and body work done on the car and in process of putting everything back together. Had to replace the light switch to get lights working but windshield wipers and radio only work when lights are on. Everything else works.
JeffBowlsby
Aha...I would recheck your connections on the light switch.
white1975
QUOTE(EK914 @ Oct 11 2015, 02:48 PM) *

This car has always been in my wife's family. The radio has always worked. I just had paint and body work done on the car and in process of putting everything back together. Had to replace the light switch to get lights working but windshield wipers and radio only work when lights are on. Everything else works.

wire on the light switch on the wrong terminal
the only thing I can think of that happened
white1975
QUOTE(white1975 @ Oct 11 2015, 02:55 PM) *

wiper wire radio wire put on the wrong term in fuse block
white1975
QUOTE(white1975 @ Oct 11 2015, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(white1975 @ Oct 11 2015, 02:55 PM) *

wiper wire radio wire put on the wrong term in fuse block

you can do a road trip and look at mine and paint it also ha ha
EK914
already have. cks with diagram plus the one I made before I took wires off switch
TheCabinetmaker
Is it possible that you have the wire on the wrong side of the fuse #8?
EK914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 11 2015, 07:53 PM) *

you can jump fuse 8 an wipers and radio works. Fuse 8 should get hot from heater from the horn an heater relay I think. both have been replaced
white1975
QUOTE(EK914 @ Oct 11 2015, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 11 2015, 07:53 PM) *

you can jump fuse 8 an wipers and radio works. Fuse 8 should get hot from heater from the horn an heater relay I think. both have been replaced

if you jump fuse and it works then you have dirty fuse and contacts
they get dirty after a lot of use
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.