Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roadcourse racers: oil cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Stark 01
Hello to everyone here at 914 World!

A question for all the experienced roadcourse racers: with a 2.1L (over bored 2.0) with a higher than stock compression ratio of about 10:1, what is the preferred oil cooling method, or at least the minimum.

Option A: stock, with stock baffled pickup

Option B: extra capacity, such as SCAT, with stock cooler

Option C: external oil cooler at front of car.

Option D: ???

If option C, in addition to the cooler and lines and adapter kit, would there need to be a change in the oil pump from stock?

I am trying to get a handle on this, and am very new to the 914 and it's strenghts/weaknesses.
ChrisFoley
I'd go with a front mounted cooler for a full time track car.
The stock cooler will be totally inadequate.
A bigger than stock pump is advised, and use dash 12 lines.
stownsen914
By SCAT, did you mean a deep sump? I'm curious to see if that's still a recommended option. I used a "tuna can" pickup extender on a stock-ish 914 track car years ago.
Stark 01
yes, I was referring to a deep sump SCAT. I understand they are not exactly "coolers", but a larger sump will help with pickup problems I was having with the stock oil system in the corners.

Racer
I ran a "tuna can" on my stock 1.7, but when I went to a 2056, I also installed a front mounted cooler. Car never ran hot. I did run a temp. oil cooler up against the engine lid as a stop gap, but much preferred the front location.

fwiw, my '76 was a stock 2.0, but when I bought it the previous owner ran both a front mounted cooler and an accusump (vs the tuna can sump extender). I know the accusump doesn't help with cooling, but its another item some folks want in a high g track car with a wet sump.
Stark 01
I'm not sure if those tuna cans are still available.

What oil pump did you use with your setup?
carr914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 12 2015, 02:14 PM) *

I'd go with a front mounted cooler for a full time track car.
The stock cooler will be totally inadequate.
A bigger than stock pump is advised, and use dash 12 lines.

^ This ^
carr914
QUOTE(Stark 01 @ Oct 12 2015, 06:34 PM) *

I'm not sure if those tuna cans are still available.

I have one FS in the Classifieds
ThePaintedMan
Tuna cans work plenty fine on anything but HUGE slicks - I never had any drops in pressure in T1 or T17 at Sebring. I've heard the SCAT sumps are just another place for oil to leak and stick down even further than a tuna can. Definitely need that cooler though - follow Chris and you'll never go wrong.
Jetsetsurfshop
George (paintedman) and I ran my car in an 14 hour endurance race in central Florida! We never seen temps over 210 degrees.
Heres my set up
front cooler with -12 lines (Mocal)
tuna can (didn't use the big under engine sump, worried about the curbing)
type 1 oil pump
2 quart accusump
We ran at WOT for hours, around 800 miles. It was insane!
driving.gif
Stark 01
Excellent, thank you all!
brant
back when we raced a T4, we did have pressure drops in most corners on moderate DOT tires.

We wired in a 2nd oil pressure sensor at 15psi to a big 2nd light
I saw it flicker often... so my take away is that maybe I didn't get down to 3psi in the corners..... but I did get to 15psi in the corners which I felt was inadequate for high rpm

the accusump solved that problem

and these were big oil pump/tuna can motors
just my 2 cents
ThePaintedMan
...Brant's a much better driver than I am, lol. Not surprising he saw a pressure drop... also my car was a stock motor, which probably wasn't cornering hard enough to slosh it away from the pickup. Still, a tuna can is a good idea and an Accusump an even better one. Shane's car is a hoot to drive, even on the DOT tires... the way he had it setup with the tuna can, Accusump and front cooler made it bulletproof.
brant
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 13 2015, 11:16 AM) *

...Brant's a much better driver than I am, lol.

not true
not at all
just an observation I had
it could of been where I mounted the switch... etc.
but once I added the accusump it definitely changed things for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.