Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a Engine Crate for shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
I will be shipping my 2.7 soon to another clubmember, and want to build a strong crate for shipping forwardair. I just have a pallet so far.

What I need is Do's and Don'ts and gotcha's others have learned, and maybe a shopping list for home depot, I plan pre building it as much as possible so I can connect the box "crate" to the engine and pallet once it is in my truck.

TIA

Ferg. biggrin.gif
SpecialK
Never shipped one myself, but Jake has a pic of what RAT does to keep his motors safe in transit, hope this helps somewhat.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/shipping.htm
machina
Mine's just some 2x2's with 3/8 plywood.

Bolt the motor to the base with some L brackets off of the tranny mount studs.

The base is 3/4" ply with doubled up 2x4 skids.
boxstr
Motors that I have either received or sent were by Forwardair. They were all palletized and strapped down very securely. All of the external items were removed,carbs,dist,heat exchangers,etc.
I also received a 2.0 4 cyl. motor that was a short block with heads removed in a large COLEMAN plastic container with lid. The lid was secured with screws and speed nuts. The interior was packed with foam nuts. It shipped very well and I have reused it again for shipping a motor.
CCLINSHIPMENTCONTROL
Type 4
Make sure that the engine is sealed up. Tape over Ports after stuffing with paper towles Then Bag in 10 mil trash Bag I use two. The small bits of pacling peanut will find there way into the engine if you dotn seal it up and bag it.
davep
I have two crates that VW shipped type 4 long block engines in. They are very sturdy to be reused several times. Do you want dimensions?
Ferg
Thanks for the offer davep, I need to make my own dimensions since i will be including other parts besides the motor itself.

Thanks everyone, good info here!

smilie_pokal.gif time to go to home depot.

Ferg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.