Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil smells like gas!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
My '75 1.8 changed to a 2056 several years ago was running bad so I checked the plugs. The car has the original l-jet. Obviously running rich with black all around the base and electrode. Replaced the plugs, ran much better. I checked the Internet about what may cause this and found a Pelican post about checking the oil to see if there was a gas smell. Yep, there was and the oil level was high. The Pelican post said to change the oil before driving again, which I plan to do tomorrow. But what else do you guys recommend?

Also, what oil can I get at a local auto parts store (where I am that's Autozone or Advance) that would be OK?

Thanks,
Rick
TheCabinetmaker
Valvoline vr1 racing oil. On Sale at oriellys for 4.99 qt.
brooks944
Thanks, what weight, 20w 50?
r_towle
You are running too rich.
What modifications did you do to the ljet system to account for the increase in displacement?
brooks944
I bought the car with the increased displacement, so don't know of any FI mods. When I got it it ran really bad and I replaced the complete system with a used one from another member. What mods should be done? Appreciate your expertise!

Rick
r_towle
The main control for the fuel mixture is the AFM unit.
He's it been open or modified?
ChrisFoley
Check that your FPR (fuel pressure regulator) is working properly.
We just took care of an L-Jet engine with a faulty FPR that forced a rebuild due to gas in the oil.
brooks944
Racer Chris, how do you check the FPR? Appreciate everyone's replies.
Also, I do have the MAF that came with the car and if I remember right it did look like the top had been removed at one time. I'll dig it out and confirm. Should I try replacing the one that came with the car with the one on now (which looks to be factory sealed)?
rhodyguy
Put a FP gauge in to check the pressure. Even on a temp basis to verify the pressure.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Oct 13 2015, 11:44 AM) *

Racer Chris, how do you check the FPR? Appreciate everyone's replies.
Also, I do have the MAF that came with the car and if I remember right it did look like the top had been removed at one time. I'll dig it out and confirm. Should I try replacing the one that came with the car with the one on now (which looks to be factory sealed)?

FI the fuel pressure is ok, you may need to open up the cover on the Air Flow Meter to make adjustments.
The topic of AFM adjustment is well covered in past threads.
r_towle
What he said
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.