Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheelwells..getumclean!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I only had a couple hours to play this weekend with the car. Kids and unpacking took up most of it. Anyhow, I needed to bleed my brakes and figured this was a good time to take a look underneath and clean it up. The 72 does not have the dealer installed undercoating, scum came off with relative ease. I went first round with the pressure washer on all 4 corners, then hit each wheel well with some citrus degreaser, scrubbed with a brush in the hard spots and re-pressure wash. would have gotten cleaner if I had more time, but I was amazed at how quickly and how well it did.

Day starts, isn't there supposed to be a car in there?? That's my 73 with mostly fresh running gear, it will see garage space for quite some time so I am going to swap a few parts this week to the 72.
TravisNeff
Crime scene..
TravisNeff
Drivers side front, before
TravisNeff
Drivers side front, after
TravisNeff
Drivers side rear, before
TravisNeff
Drivers side rear, after
TravisNeff
Passenger side rear, before
TravisNeff
Passenger side rear, after
TravisNeff
Misc
TravisNeff
misc
TravisNeff
asdfad
TravisNeff
asdf
TravisNeff
asdfasdf
TravisNeff
replacement QP
TravisNeff
asdfasdf
TravisNeff
asdfasdf
TravisNeff
Pan, didn't spend much time here. Nice to know that it hasn't been jacked up by the floorpan like the other car.
TravisNeff
ALL DONE!
TravisNeff
Whoops missed one, Passenger side front after (no before shots)
Lou W
Good Job, Looks Great smilie_pokal.gif
nebreitling
looks nice, but i'm lmao that you've got your car on the street on jackstands! they execute people in california for things like that!
TravisNeff
Bah, can't do it in the garage. Can't get in there, driveway is only 10 feet long or so an on a hill. I didn't leave it there for long like that. But I can install an old washing machine in the front yard and toss a tranny in the tall weeds along the side for that homy look
bd1308
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 7 2005, 01:57 PM)
Bah, can't do it in the garage. Can't get in there, driveway is only 10 feet long or so an on a hill. I didn't leave it there for long like that. But I can install an old washing machine in the front yard and toss a tranny in the tall weeds along the side for that homy look

thats right....give it the ol' KY treatment....looks like some of the places in Bowling Green
fiid
Would you also clean an engine bay (sans engine) with a pressure washer. I'm a little reluctant to get it wet for fear of filling the longs. .... ??????

But the ability to get large swaths of car clean without going through 50 cans of brake cleaner is quite appealing...

TravisNeff
I would definately pressure wash the engine bay. You can tape off your heater tubes in the longs. If they fill up with water, just jack up the front and it will pour out from behind.

I found this out when I pressure washed the gas tank area of the white car, which water went down the heater tubes (tape, I didn't to that), and when I jacked the car up a day or two later a nice puddle of water came out the back side.
TravisNeff
thats right....give it the ol' KY treatment....looks like some of the places in Bowling Green

Now that's what I am talkin bout! Just let the chickens run out front for those special occasions. Funny thing, the last thing we moved was the chickens (in their coupe in the bed of the truck), followed by a paintless 914 being towed. That is when the neighbors started to get worried.

Oh wait, the very last thing was the 1969 chevy pickemup with a camper, that should have been the final scare. But that thing only has 7,000 miles on it - no joke. Girlfriend got it when her grandfather died, he was the original owner. I thought she was telling me it had 70K miles on it, till I hopped in the cab and saw that it was still new!
bd1308
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 7 2005, 03:41 PM)
1969 chevy pickemup

i love those wub.gif
TimT
Nice and clean... I have to get all the rubber tire boogers out of my car wheel wells.

Where can I get the rubber lip for the spoiler? I dont need the spoiler , just the lip

does it hold up at over 100mph?

TravisNeff
That's a flexdam, I have never seen replacement rubber for it. It holds up to at least 80mph? so far. I am probably goin to remove the rubber in the future. There is a channel piece of metal that screws to the spoiler and the rubber slides in the channel.
jr91472
I pushed mine over 100mph once (along time ago when I was young and immortal). It held up fine.

think I got mine from PB Tweeks, but that was back in the late 80's so confused24.gif
TravisNeff
Whomever makes the flexdam spoiler makes them for a number of cars, if one could find the manufacturer, I bet it would be a snap to locate the part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.