Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI Fuel Pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I acquired a FI fuel pump from an L-Jet several years ago from a running car. Since the pump in my car was working, I stored the pump in a zip lock bag; put short hoses on each end of the pump; filled each hose with MMO; then put bolts in the ends of each hose to trap the MMO.

What is the best way to bench test the pump ? Should I just disconnect the hoses and give it 12 volts and verify it runs; or, should it be set up to pump on a gas can ? I have heard they can be damaged if run dry ?

Suggestions will be appreciated... smile.gif

SLITS
When I tested them, I had a can of gas, passenger side fuel rail with tap for pressure gauge and pressure regulator. I would hook them up with a supply line to the pump and a return line to the container.

In running them, I would increase the fuel pressure from 28 to 40 psig to see if they would continue to hold the 40 psig without leaking.

Involved but made sure the pump worked.

You can "dead head" the pump to a gauge and see if it puts out approximately 40 psig.
EdwardBlume
Install it?
screenguy914
Jim, MHO:
- Connect hoses to two gas cans, one with fuel, one without.
- Connect FP source and ground connections to 12VDC source. Use a remote switch to avoid sparks and long leads away from very flammable gas fumes
- Perform this outside with plenty of air circulation.

Cycling most FP dry can create excessive internal wear.

Sherwood

jim_hoyland
Mounted the pump to a board and followed instructions above, pump works.

Questions:
1) does the pressure regulator Care which nipple is in and out ? Shoul I plug the AV nipple for testing ?

2) I have avac gauge, but need the fitting it screws into and has nipples on both ends; can I buy the fitting without the gauge ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.