Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trunk hinge replcement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srozick
I need to replace the right hinge for my trunk lid and found the Porsche 914 JWest Trunk Hinge Pivot as an option. No welding. Has anyone used this replacement part?
thanks
JamesM
yup, works great
Mark Henry
The base should still be welded in, the bolt mounting is more for alignment.
JWest
I do not recommend welding the kit in place.

There is a second plate that goes in the fenderwell. This sandwiches the original (thin and usually fatigued) metal, reinforcing it and clamping the mount in place. If it is welded it will probably crack at the junction of the weld and the thinner metal, just like the original.
JamesM
I didnt weld mine, just used the bolts and the backing plate, had it in for quite a few years with no issues.

Much better than the stock hinge

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JWest @ Oct 15 2015, 12:51 PM) *

I do not recommend welding the kit in place.

There is a second plate that goes in the fenderwell. This sandwiches the original (thin and usually fatigued) metal, reinforcing it and clamping the mount in place. If it is welded it will probably crack at the junction of the weld and the thinner metal, just like the original.

I have to do this to mine and I have the kit already. can I get it mounted with out having to remove the trunk lid and torsion bars completely?

Phil
JWest
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 15 2015, 12:03 PM) *

I have to do this to mine and I have the kit already. can I get it mounted with out having to remove the trunk lid and torsion bars completely?

Phil

You will have to unhook the torsion bar.

Once that is done, you can unbolt the hinge from the trunk lid and remove it from the car (leaving the trunk installed and the other hinge in place.

With the hinge out, you have room to grind off the remnants of the old mount.

Now you can bolt the hinge back to the trunk lid. The new mount can be slipped in place and 3 of the 4 holes can be drilled with the trunk positioned right where it needs to be.

Jack up the side of the car to be able to reach around the rear tire, and you can slip the reinforcing plate onto the bolts and tighten.

Now you can raise the trunk and the hinge will move out of the way to drill the last hole.

Install and tighten that bolt, then reinstall the torsion bar or convert to Camp 914 shocks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.