Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would these work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
15x7 MiniLites with 9.5x23x15 Hoosier slicks.
Standard 914 fenders. I have about 9.5 inches of clearence on both rear sides, plenty of room up front. so Id have to pull the fenders about 1 inch. Back spacing on the wheels is about 4 inches.... idea.gif Would these work with some rolling?
campbellcj
Hmmm. I would have my doubts. Most cars I have seen running those tires or the similar Goodyears have had slice-n-dice work done on the rears.

What is the section width of those tires? Remember that the max width is often in the sidewall bulge, not the tread... You don't wanna hit a bump and destroy your nice new tires and burn the paint off your fenders ohmy.gif

The best looking (on paper) slicks I have found are the Avons - they have radial and bias slicks in a huge size range. There were several sizes that would fit any car that can handle 195-205 DOT tires. BUT as other guys pointed out, you have to be careful about the load ratings. Some of these tires are designed for formula cars weighing barely half what our teeners do. I have not yet researched that further...
ChrisReale
How is the 4 inch offset? I could always unload the tires and get ones that would fit better...??
ChrisReale
Anybody else have any idea's confused24.gif
Bleyseng
My cookiecutters have 4 3/4" offset and the 205x50x15's do hit mostly on the drivers side. I dunno, but 4" offset might mean they hit the inside of the wheel well. I haven't measured the gap on that.
Geoff
ChrisReale
Thats what I was afraid of... I am going to buy some wheels, 15x7. What is the offset that I want?
campbellcj
I think Mueller is our resident "I've tried every wheel in the universe" guru. mueba.gif

The whole offset/backspacing thing always makes my head hurt. headbang.gif
Bleyseng
5 bolt?
ChrisReale
4 Bolt, either Panasports, Revolution or Mini-Lites, in a 15 by 7 inch w00t.gif
J P Stein
The magic number, mounting face to inside wheel edge is 4-7/8 +/- 1/8 inch....."setback".

Less setback means more clearance to the inside, but less to the outside.

My 5 bolt, 7 in Fuch have a setback of about 5 inches, 6 inch Fuch about 4-7/8, and 4 bolt 914 Fuch are about 4- 3/4.

With the 7s & 225 Hoosiers, the tires clear the inner fender by about 1/4 in, at worst case. Flares were necessary. With a 4 inch setback & 7 in width, I'd need another inch wider flare.
URY914
My Revolutions are 15 x 7 with a 5" backspace. I run 225/50 Kumhos.
They don't rub.

Paul
maf914
I've got 6.5 x 15 Revolutions with 5-1/8" backspace with 205/60 Yoko AVS. Everything fits at the rear, but the front will touch the inner wheel well at maximum lock. Otherwise, everything is good.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.