Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 in a 1.8 car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
Are there any issues that I should be aware of in putting a 1.7 engine in a 1.8 car? Any wire differences?
The swap will be from one car to the other, so parts from both cars will be available for the conversion.

What needs to be changed other than the engine itself?

thanks
Series9
The fuel injection is different. If it's not an FI engine, no problem.
TravisNeff
If it is an FI engine, the relay board or a component on the relay board is different?
dmenche914
Both engines are FI, factory. The 1.7 will keep its injection system on the motor, so we will be putting a 1.7 injected motor in the 1.8 injected car. We have all the D-Jet stuff for the 1.7 (it is in a running car now) we want to keep the D-jet on the 1.7 and swap it into the 1.8 car. So the issue is are there wire differences on the 1.8 body that will need adapting to accept the 1.7 D-jet???

thanks
jim912928
I don't believe the relay boards are different. But I believe the fuel pumps are. The 1.8l engines were ljet and took a fuel pump that i believe puts out more pressure then the djet equivalents. The ecu's are probably different and the FI wiring harness are different. But, you'll keep the FI harnesses with the corresponding engines anyhow.
TravisNeff
If you are swapping all the FI components, pleumn runners etc., it should be a slam dunk. All FI wires go to the ECU, besides the oil pressure switch, alternator harness would be the same. Nothing extra and nothing less..
Cap'n Krusty
It's a total plug in. You'll need to get the 1.8 air filter shelf out, but it's bolted in. You'll also have to remove the double relay, and may have to add one relay to the relay board. Pump is the same, functionally (and maybe even physically). You'll need to mount the MPS, and the mounting plate may even be in there. The ECU mounts to the battery tray, and the bracket will have to come over from the donor car (if it's even there). The Cap'n
Eric Taylor
Regarding the relay board, I would deffinatly sway it from the 1.7 car. Their can be some really wierd thing's going on if you have a relay board that didn't come with your correct fuel injection system, smoke and the like. Ask me how I know smile.gif contrary to popular belief they are different in very subtle ways. I played this game with the board swaps and it created some wierd problems.
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.