Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will the 9550 cam work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1

78MM stroke, 90MM pistons.

My guess is "yes" since it's also been used in 2L engines but I want to make sure

Thanks

Jake Raby
No, way too mild for that displacement. Dynamic CR will be way too high, even if static CR is kept to below 8:1

The 9550 is yesterday's news, the 9590 is today's version of it, and it is also way too mild for this displacement. Using this cam for more than 2056cc is a quick way to create a misconfiguration.
toon1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 14 2015, 08:49 AM) *

No, way too mild for that displacement. Dynamic CR will be way too high, even if static CR is kept to below 8:1

The 9550 is yesterday's news, the 9590 is today's version of it, and it is also way too mild for this displacement. Using this cam for more than 2056cc is a quick way to create a misconfiguration.

IIRC, the 78MM, 90MM is a 1911.

Im looking to build a mileage motor( similar to the your super 2L). right now my combo 1.7, 9550 cam, high(ish) CR pistons, megasquirt yields 37-39MPG. I would like to see more torque out of the engine.

Will the 9590 still give good MPG's ?

If not, what would be the correct cam for the 78MM stroke, 90MM bore combo. ?

Jake Raby
I understand the displacement, its how you have achieved it that will throw things into a tail spin. I have done that combo many times.

I don't know what options LN is offering for cams these days through the Type 4 Store. Way out of that loop (thank goodness)
toon1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 14 2015, 10:37 AM) *

I understand the displacement, its how you have achieved it that will throw things into a tail spin. I have done that combo many times.

I don't know what options LN is offering for cams these days through the Type 4 Store. Way out of that loop (thank goodness)

Thanks Jake,

So I have something to go on,

what cam worked good for mileage when you built this combo.?
toon1
TTT...

anyone else have cam options for this combo.?
toon1
Okay!!!!....

Since there is nothing but crickets....can anyone refer me to someone who can get me this info.??

I had one good lead, but I'd like to get more.
worn
QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 15 2015, 09:54 AM) *

Okay!!!!....

Since there is nothing but crickets....can anyone refer me to someone who can get me this info.??

Sounds like you may be a bit of a pioneer. So maybe there isn't a lot of wisdom out there about this. The Capn' would probably have chimed in.
Me I am still trying to get my cam and the stock injection to play nice, and mileage is down the drain. A simple 2056.
Porschef
Warren, mine is pretty poor too, part of it is my inability to keep my foot out of it. However, I did find out something yesterday that I'll start a new thread with as to not hijack this one any further...
toon1
This build has been done, but not that often. most of the builds are 2056 or bigger.

There is some info on rods, crank, pistons but cam info is difficult to find.
toon1
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 15 2015, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 15 2015, 09:54 AM) *

Okay!!!!....

Sounds like you may be a bit of a pioneer. So maybe there isn't a lot of wisdom out there about this. The Capn' would probably have chimed in.
Me I am still trying to get my cam and the stock injection to play nice, and mileage is down the drain. A simple 2056.

You can go megasquirt..... my 1.7 is getting 39MPG.

IMHO....going to MS is cheaper and easier in the long run and you'll learn a heck of a lot about FI
EdwardBlume
I plan to use a 9590 with stock FI on a 2056. We'll see if it ever sees the light of day.
r_towle
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 15 2015, 02:27 PM) *

I plan to use a 9590 with stock FI on a 2056. We'll see if it ever sees the light of day.

Now you can afford to just send it all to McMark or Foley, have it built for you and start enjoying it.....call it the RV engine.
Jake Raby
Try the 107i

It's a hydro cam, but I use it with solid lifters.
Valy
That long stroke is not friendly to the stock FI. You will be better with carbs.
If you're just looking for milage, keep it stock.
More power=more fuel.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 15 2015, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 15 2015, 02:27 PM) *

Now you can afford to just send it all to McMark or Foley, have it built for you and start enjoying it.....call it the RV engine.

I'm running a 3K mile 2056 right now. The "new" motor is just Dad's car's original number matching engine. McMark did already assemble the pieces for me but I changed my mind on a web cam and carbs, and decided to stick with FI.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 15 2015, 09:29 PM) *

Try the 107i

Whats a 107i?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 16 2015, 07:33 AM) *

Try the 107i

Whats a 107i?

webcamshaft
toon1

Try the 107i

QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 15 2015, 11:29 PM) *

That long stroke is not friendly to the stock FI. You will be better with carbs.
If you're just looking for milage, keep it stock.
More power=more fuel.

Thanks Jake, I'll look into it.

Valy, I have megasquirt in my car. this will give lots of adjustability

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.