Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No brake lights!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
So, all of a sudden I have no brake lights. Fuse good, bulbs good. Is there a switch activated by the brake pedal somewhere?
TIA
SLITS
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Oct 14 2015, 12:39 PM) *

So, all of a sudden I have no brake lights. Fuse good, bulbs good. Is there a switch activated by the brake pedal somewhere?
TIA

Yes
MJHanna
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2015, 02:41 PM) *

TIA

Yes

happy11.gif happy11.gif Look on the brake pedal, its a micro switch with an arm that sometimes gets moved or bent. confused24.gif confused24.gif aktion035.gif
dflesburg
or sometimes the ground lead falls or breaks off.

ground wires are brown.
Vysoc
The switch has a very fine adjustment, picture and a little instruction in the Haynes Manual. I have had to adjust my set screw twice on mine. but I would bet you it is the brake micro switch. Two connections at the switch, check them first.

Good Luck, study the switch to understand how it works and then make your adjustment, helps to have someone watching the brake lights.

Vysoc flag.gif
rhodyguy
all the information about the switch is in your haynes manual.
rhodyguy
all of the information about the switch is in your haynes manual. illustrations included.
cooper951
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Oct 14 2015, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2015, 02:41 PM) *

TIA

Yes

happy11.gif happy11.gif Look on the brake pedal, its a micro switch with an arm that sometimes gets moved or bent. confused24.gif confused24.gif aktion035.gif

There's an aftermarket metal floorboard under the carpet that slides over the pedals so I can't get a real good look at the switch, but I was able to raise the plate enough to see the switch. Saw the arm on the switch, but it moves with the brake pedal. Is that normal? I would think it would stay in place so when the pedal is depressed, it would break connection and the lights would go on.
Vysoc
The switch works opposite of how you think it would.

Take the pedal board out, get in there and study it and then you will see what we are all talking about, once you start adjusting the lock nut it helps to have someone there to tell you when the brake lights are on.

Again if you have access to a Haynes Manual they talk about this switch on page 129.

This is a fairly easy fix, except for getting the pedal board out which can be a bit of a pain.

Vysoc flag.gif
cooper951
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Oct 15 2015, 09:03 AM) *

The switch works opposite of how you think it would.

Take the pedal board out, get in there and study it and then you will see what we are all talking about, once you start adjusting the lock nut it helps to have someone there to tell you when the brake lights are on.

Again if you have access to a Haynes Manual they talk about this switch on page 129.

This is a fairly easy fix, except for getting the pedal board out which can be a bit of a pain.

Vysoc flag.gif

Thanks!
rhodyguy
Take the pads off of the brake and clutch. That little bit of extra room makes all the dif.
toolguy
IIRC, The switch arm is on top of the pedal, when you depress the pedal, the switch arm moves down and closes the contacts inside the switch. .

The following is from a 73- 74 wiring diagram. .

If you don't see an obvious adjustment issue, you can check for 12 volts coming from fuse 9 hot side [ not thru the fuse] on the black/yellow at the switch terminal that has other wires on it.
If you have 12 volts there, operate the switch and see if it passes the 12 volts thru the switch to the single black/yellow.

rhodyguy
There is also an adjustment feature in the switch play. Again, this in the Haynes in the same section. Buy a Haynes if you haven 't purchased one. Internet info won't help for crap with no access. You need something you can lay your hands on in a pinch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.