Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ? 75-76 heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
rfinegan
Today I was installing my Triad muffler to my 75 stock exhaust to hook up the heating system for the season and I am getting exhaust fumes in the cabin. I think i have a cracked pipe or leak. Looking for a pair of exchangers from a 75 or 76. I have the other pipes in good working order. If you have one, let me know which side. I will update with detail one I determine which one is failing or both..

best

-Robert
TheCabinetmaker
Have several good pair. Cheap.
hencar
Pm sent on a set of stock 75 -75 stainless steel heat exchangers.

Henry
bdstone914
QUOTE(hencar @ Oct 14 2015, 05:26 PM) *

Pm sent on a set of stock 75 -75 stainless steel heat exchangers.

Henry

Stock heat exchangers are not stainless. They are a coated steel.
Bruce
rhodyguy
Right. They only appear to be stainless steel.
rfinegan
Thanks All

I think mine are still good. Here is how i tested. Turned the heat on High! it get very hot inside /windows up. I had each on my sons hold a shop rug over the exhaust tips (dual tips)I put a few revs to the engine about 1500 and poured 2 cycle oil down the left carb and looked for smoke inside car and around HE, repeated for right side. Lots of smoke behind and under the car but none inside. A crack surely should have filled the inside of the car with smoke. Lots of great offers from members, just unclear if I need them at this point. Thanks again to everyone who responded. My car runs rich and I must be getting un burn fuel smell via fresh air inlets and unsealed engine compartment.
malcolm2
that seems like a good test for the leak, but not so good for the engine. Just a test, right? anyway, It would seem that someone would have a way to test them. I do know the SS ones have thinner pipe walls, so they are the ones that crack. Have not heard of a late pipe cracking.

If I was to test I might remove the pipe, plug one end and toss a smoke bomb in the the other. plug that end and see if any smoke comes out of the HE seam. Short of taking the HE tin off, not sure.

Good luck.

BTW: if you need or want some crappy late pipes, I have 3 sets under my house.

Clark
914ltd

I have yet to see a crack in original heat exchangers, any type or year 914 or 911/912. I suppose if the outer shell had been patched enough times or collision damage were a factor it's possible. The SSI's at least 914's are known to crack. Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.