Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
I have a 73 2.0 and it is getting near the time for a engine rebuild, but instead of rebuilding the old 4, I am thinking about getting a small six, like a 2.0, from a late 60's 911. Does any one have one around in good shape or know where I can get one for a good price?
MecGen
Hey
Good question, I thought of it many times.
Theres a guy here that had a 6 but I don't know if its still 4sale, maybe run a check in the classifieds.
Good Luck
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
Pnambic
Here's a link to one posted in the classifieds. Still some questions about it, but give the guy a call and see what you can find out.
Bleyseng
I just sold a 2.4 carb 911 motor. The conversion is going to cost $$$ to get all the right parts, oil tank,lines, flywheel, tin, headers etc.

Geoff
ArtechnikA
the sad-but-true is that it'll cost you the same (plus or minus but a very small amount) to install a 3,0 as a 2,0 -- and the same to rebuild. Porsche last used the 2,0 in 911's in 1969, and 914.6's until the end of the run (round numbers - 3000 engines later) in 1972. so that means that your typical 2,0 is 35 years old, whereas your typical 3,0 is "only" 20...

there are still little engines around (i've got two...) but you need a real good reason to use any pre-SC engine.

such reasons - and engines - do exist. but finding a fresh, running early engine will be a bit of a challenge. and a professional rebuild will run *somewhere* in the $7500-$10k range. the parts alone add up quick...
Gearren
Would I notice a big difference from 95hp stock to aroud 140hp with a 2.0 six, or do I need to get aroud 200hp to see a big difference?
Pnambic
I haven't driven one with more than 80hp, but these cars are tiny, so small increases in hp should have exagerated results. Have you considered are Jake Raby MassIVe 2270? Click here.

There are arguments that the type 4 is far cheaper to rebuild and maintain than a six, on the other hand, it doesn't sound like a six.

Jake gets 170hp and 165ft/lbs out of the 2316.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Gearren @ Mar 7 2005, 07:29 PM)
Would I notice a big difference from 95hp stock to aroud 140hp with a 2.0 six, or do I need to get aroud 200hp to see a big difference?

2,0 911T is 110HP -- the original 914.6 level. the 911E had 140HP and the 911S 170 -- but those were MFI engines, and the 911S was very peaky, max power at 6800 rpm, fully 1000 rpm higher than the 911T, and not a lot of grunt down low (where most street driving occurs).

the big difference with the bigger engines is not so much the higher HP numbers, but the increased low-end torque that made the engines much more driveable, tractable, and flexible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.