Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AMC heads or Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
catsltd
My tired 1.8L needs some work.
Car sat for 15 years,there is oil leaking out of every where.

Got to start somewhere Soooooooooooooo.

Should I order new AMC heads cost about $900:00 dollars.
OR
Should I pull my 100,000 mile heads and get them rebuilt.

Looking to save time as well as hassles of dealing with old rusted parts.

I have been working really hard on fixing the car.
But I have found as soon as you pull something apart,it leads to a never ending trail of more things that should be fixed as well.

I dont want to rebuild for 2 years,so thats what I am looking at.

Appreciate your advice and suggestions.
Thanks.
flmont
I think you should fine a shop in the area and get the originals evaluated,..and price to fix them up...If able you could save some money and keep the engine original......
boxsterfan
How original is your car?

If the car is not all original, then I would do whatever you want to do. It's a 1.8L so in general they are less desirable than 2.0L. I'm more than likely going to go with AMC heads on my 2270 build. I'm not building a garage queen or concourse car.
catsltd
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 15 2015, 01:02 AM) *

If the car is not all original, then I would do whatever you want to do. It's a 1.8L so in general they are less desirable than 2.0L. I'm more than likely going to go with AMC heads on my 2270 build. I'm not building a garage queen or concourse car.

Car is original,except partial repaint from fire in engine bay.before I got it.
But I drive this when ever I get the chance.

The last shop I took put on the head gasket wrong,and when all my oil ran out on the way home and engine light came on,well not a good start to finding a good shop.

I guess I answered my own question.
Why trust a shop to fck up my motor again.

Ill pull them and get them looked at,but I think in the spring I will be sporting some AMC heads.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Bartlett 914

The last shop I took put on the head gasket wrong,and when all my oil ran out on the way home and engine light came on,well not a good start to finding a good shop.

[/quote]
I assume you mean the valve cover gasket. Can happen easy enough
porschetub
QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 15 2015, 03:34 PM) *

My tired 1.8L needs some work.
Car sat for 15 years,there is oil leaking out of every where.

Got to start somewhere Soooooooooooooo.

Should I order new AMC heads cost about $900:00 dollars.
OR
Should I pull my 100,000 mile heads and get them rebuilt.

Looking to save time as well as hassles of dealing with old rusted parts.

I have been working really hard on fixing the car.
But I have found as soon as you pull something apart,it leads to a never ending trail of more things that should be fixed as well.

I dont want to rebuild for 2 years,so thats what I am looking at.

Appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Hard one to answer in respect to cost,the AMC heads are ready to go @ that price but some (in the know) do extra work to them which = $$$$.
I've never seen these heads but have read they come complete but are pretty basic.
Your existing heads if crack free and fully serviceable will run up a fair amount of cost if you do them right ;
cleaning and beadblast,
new valves,
new guides (exhaust at minimum),
3 angle valve job,
new springs,
clean-up flycut,
etc.
I don't know about labour cost in your area but it soon mounts up if the work is done right, good luck.

Thanks.

Dave_Darling
Be aware that the hardware (valves, springs, guides, etc.) used on the AMC heads is not that good. Most people replace all of that before using them.

--DD
catsltd
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2015, 02:19 AM) *

Be aware that the hardware (valves, springs, guides, etc.) used on the AMC heads is not that good. Most people replace all of that before using them.

--DD

Ill pull the heads I guess and go from there.

I have no intention of bringing the car back to a shop to work on,just thought it might be easier to buy new heads than have to get a shop to rebuild them and screw them up.

Ill post some pics once i pull them.

But first will adjust the valves,and new pushrod seals.
Still got decent weather,so wont be pulling heads till she snows,which wont be long.
Thanks
walterolin
Have you talked to Len Hoffman aka HAM? info@hamheads.com

http://www.hamincgroup.com/main.php

Sterling reputation on this board. He rebuilt my 1.7 heads for not much more than your price for the AMC heads, they were a work of art. He will be a little slow.
shelby/914
I sent an email to HAM yesterday to inquire about getting a set of 2.0L heads done. They indicate on the web site that they want pix of the heads before you send them so they can determine if they are rebuildable. Have not heard back yet where to send the photos or what the price range is. Really needing a set since I blew out a capped air injector port on my '76. Seems to have stripped off the threads, the tube just drops back in. hissyfit.gif
Several locals have confirmed that their work is fantastic.

Dan
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2015, 02:19 AM) *

--DD

That's the old original AMC heads, the quality is somewhat acceptable for a stocker now.
Performance engine well if it's me I'm going to replace all the stuff anyways, VW or AMC head.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 15 2015, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 15 2015, 01:02 AM) *

Car is original,except partial repaint from fire in engine bay.before I got it.
But I drive this when ever I get the chance.

I guess I answered my own question.

Ill pull them and get them looked at,but I think in the spring I will be sporting some AMC heads.

I do know a porsche guy in Calgary but I'm super busy to find his contact info right now... PM member "andrew15" he should have Jim's contact info or know someone local who is good. Andrew lived in Calgary for years.

I'd look at your heads, but I'm a bit too far away.
Mark Henry
dp
catsltd
I cant ship my heads to the USA, exchange rate and duty,might as well buy a complete new car.

I do know a good head re builder in Calgary,hes old school so hes probably done more 1960@70 heads than anything newer.

I will email Andrew and see who he recommends.

I would not rule out shipping them to you Mark,at least you are in Canada.
Im worried about the valve seats,seems that is the part that will give me the biggest problems.

I will do a leak down test as well and see what that tells me.
look forward to working on fixing the leaks through the winter.
my cold compression numbers areall around 110 ,but until I do a leak down test I wont know where to go.
Thanks for the advice,if theres 1 thing I have figured out,is this is the place to get good advice.
shelby/914
FYI just checked my email and I got a reply from HAM. They are no longer doing any work for individuals, may reconsider next year but still doubtful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.